What's new
What's new

Porter Cable B9 belt sander questions

i_r_machinist

Titanium
Bought a Porter Cable B9 sander this weekend. It was in a pasture in the background of something a guy was trying to sell on marketplace. Called and he said that he would sell that too. He even had a couple belts he would hunt up. Five hours of driving and that baby was in my shop! Put an electric cord on it,220, a little wd40 and a few squirts of grease, and it came back to life. Took my man-killer grinder with a 6" wire brush and cleaned the considerable rust off the drive wheels. The first belt self destructed in a rather spectacular fashion when Numbnuts,(pictured), over-corrected the belt tracking.
Which brings me to my question. This thing has a .07" straight taper on the top roller and has a VERY small sweet spot for belt tracking. The Doall in the shop has a convex shape with about .025" rise in the middle of the roller. I'm thinking about making another roller with that shape on it for the B9.
Any thoughts?
i_r_
20200530_151821.jpg20200530_154519.jpg

I picked up a B3 a couple of months ago. There isn't much crowning on the rollers but it has a very nice tracking set-up.
How is your tracking adjusted?

Attachments

• IMG_47761.jpg
    IMG_47761.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_47751_12_1.jpg
    IMG_47751_12_1.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 64
The Delta version the drum is two piece crowned in the middle. It is held together with a left hand nut. get it wrong and crush the end caps so you have to buy a new one. It is crowned so the middle is a bigger diameter same as a flat belt pulley on a south bend lathe. I see many in school shops that the belt tracked to one side and cut a curved slot through the sheet metal guard around the drum.
Be careful and do not break the trunnions
Bil lD

If it's war finish it's over 75 years old - more than likely the crowning has worn off the rollers a tad or 2;)

(I'm 10 years younger and a few bits have worn off me :D )

Back