What's new
What's new

Possible Cat to NMTB Adapter?

Ox

Diamond
This was on an old holder that came in a misc Cat50 trade deal several yrs ago. At first I thought that it was a bastard holder, but then I got's'ta lookin' and it seemed that the tip unthreaded and it would be a Cat holder.

Shore enough, it came out, but I wonder what the porpoise of it was?
The threads are kind'a shallow in it, so I don't know if it would reach an NMTB drawbar or not?

If not, maybe someone else may have a clue what it is?
Douglas?

DSCN2019_zpscodfdwed.jpg

DSCN2020_zpsy5qvibz5.jpg

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

That looks like it might work with a Deckel DIN 2080 gripper. I have seen adapters like that before, but without the gripper groove and looked into the geometry based on the NMTB and CAT standards. The difficulty is that there is almost no meat left between the corner at the bottom of the female thread and the corner at the top of the male thread. It'd be easier to make an extended NMTB drawbar to reach the back of a CAT holder.

is the thread the same on both ? an nt50 taper drawbar is typically 1"-8 . never seen
a pullstud with a threaded internal socket.

where the "gripper groove" is , many nmtb holders have an undercut . that would make
more sense to me... if the CAT50 works for you..... who cares?

"It'd be easier to make an extended NMTB drawbar to reach the back of a CAT holder."

maybe on a horizontal ,... like a K+T Milawaukee ... where you have a jam-nut to reach the difference.

on a big vertical- not so much .

i have made cat40 to nt40 sockets for my cincinnati vertical , which has a
captive drawbar .

Yeah, 1"-8 inside and out.

I don't care personally.
I don't have a use, and I could use the Cat possibly at some point.

Was more interested to see - if this was in fact such a holder - that the Manuel guys could use an adapter like this with "std" Cat holders. Thus why I posted in General.

Notice Douglas doesn't seem to have service after the sale... :gossip:

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

What part of "No tickey, no Laundry" do you not understand ?
:D

Or.."Anything that falls off is yours to keep".

Seriously, if there is some more of those, put them up fer sale
in the tooling section.

This is the only one that I have seen to date. (8.5 years)
It was on - what appears to be - a face mill holder, with a dbl boring head mounted to it.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I've been shopping used CAT and NMTB taper tools for 30+ years and thats the first one of those I've seen. Makes sense that it would convert CAT to NMTB drawbar, as long as the drawbar has an external nut on it so the bar doesn't bottom out hard in the adapter. But then if it does have the nut, you might not need the adapter...

Didn't there used to be NC/CNC machining centers that used national taper tool holders with pull studs? Maybe it's an intermittent adapter to go between the pull stud and the cat50 holder? Kind-of-a way to have the "new" cat 50 holders work with the old system.

Didn't there used to be NC/CNC machining centers that used national taper tool holders with pull studs? Maybe it's an intermittent adapter to go between the pull stud and the cat50 holder? Kind-of-a way to have the "new" cat 50 holders work with the old system.

Yes, for example I have a Deckel that takes CAT, BT and NMTB 50 tools, each one needs a different pull stud. that adapter would allow the NMTB stud to be put in the CAT tool, but a longer stud is a simpler solution, plus I'm not sure the threads in the adapter are deep enough to allow a CAT stud to work without shortening. And there's darn few of these machines in the US, I think less than a dozen.
I

Seriously, if there is some more of those, put them up fer sale
in the tooling section.

This is the only one that I have seen to date. (8.5 years)

I've been shopping used CAT and NMTB taper tools for 30+ years and thats the first one of those I've seen.

Well, at least that single adapter will occupy a nice spot next to the
pine tree air freshener....:crazy:

Back