What's new
What's new

Possible to magicly convert a 1750 rpm angle grinder into say 3500??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmikkalson

Hot Rolled
Hi, I have a large industrial angle sander with a rpm of 1750. Is it possible to convert easily to say 3500 rpm for grinding? Maybe be a clip here and a poke their....:D

Hi, I have a large industrial angle sander with a rpm of 1750. Is it possible to convert easily to say 3500 rpm for grinding? Maybe be a clip here and a poke their....:D

Such a tool is likely fitted with an AC/DC universal brush type motor. No load rpm follows applied voltage in general. Double the applied voltage to achieve your rpm objectives. You will need to figure out a way to cool the windings to keep them from burning through

Such a tool is likely fitted with an AC/DC universal brush type motor. No load rpm follows applied voltage in general. Double the applied voltage to achieve your rpm objectives. You will need to figure out a way to cool the windings to keep them from burning through

Its a huge old black and decker, It looks like you could get the unit in 3500 rpm. Perhaps there is a resister in side?????

I'm in a huge hurry, and my welding skills suck.
You are going about it the wrong way. What you need to do is shop for a fast cutting grinding disc. Avoid promotions that guarantee long life. You have to look at the listings. I have suffered for years in shops where owners ordered hard long lasting wheels and they also don't grind very well. They certainly wear out grinder motors as people push and press then in frustration discard/hide the wheel and get a new one.
A fast cutting wheel will go from seven inch down to five inch in about an hour but you will not waste time and become frustrated.

FYI a 9" grinder still typically runs 6K rpm over here, 3.5K is going to make the discs act real soft, wear up fast and still be real slow at removing shitty weld!

Better yet, improve your weld game and your grinding game. I recommend a bigger grinder and Pferd disks, fastest ones I've found yet for hacking off large amounts of steel.

Is this a big 20 inch disc sander?

You *can't* convert it from 1725 RPM to 3600 RPM, the speed is limited by the peripheral speed of the disc.

A better sanding disc would be the solution. 3M PSA 36 grit disc is the way to go. Get the blue/green ones for better life in metal.

[I have a 7 inch grinder that I use to clean up welding work.

One of my repeat jobs has an inside radius that will only fit a 3.5 inch wheel.
I have a bunch of 3.5 inch wheels that fit the grinder.

How can I keep the surface speed of the wheel up in order to optimise clean up rate (it's a production application) and wheel life?

Is there a way o double the grinder RPM? ]

How many ways does a guy need to ask a question in order to get a reasonable response?

[I have a 7 inch grinder that I use to clean up welding work.

One of my repeat jobs has an inside radius that will only fit a 3.5 inch wheel.
I have a bunch of 3.5 inch wheels that fit the grinder.

How can I keep the surface speed of the wheel up in order to optimise clean up rate (it's a production application) and wheel life?

Is there a way o double the grinder RPM? ]

How many ways does a guy need to ask a question in order to get a reasonable response?

As you answered before... (assuming a universal motor) double the input voltage (not really practical for most) , or for your 3.5 inch wheel buy a 4 inch grinder.

Even 3500 would be painfully slow... I can't imagine that being worthwhile.
My grinders range from...
old 9" Milwaukee that runs 5,000 rpm
Newer DeWalt 7" @ 8,500
New 4-1/2" from 10,000 to 11,500 depending on model....
All have the same 5/8" spindle.
Its about surface footage at the OD of the wheel just like turning on the lathe.

If it were me, and I only had a super slow sander / polisher, I would watch the sales over at big box and pick up a 4-1/2" for $50 and call it done. Wheels are cheap, available in every flavor imaginable, and everywhere.
I picked up a hitachi for $45 that im pleased with.
My .02

Large dia. wheels might not be safe at double the speed. There are reasons why certain speeds are used. Get a small grinder. Curiously enough,I have heard many guys remark that they get great life out of a Harbor Freight small disc grinder,if you want to try a cheap one. I don't have one,but I'd recommend you to try one based on what I've heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back