What's new
What's new

Posting better pictures help

Jim Moser

Hot Rolled
I would like to get rid of some surplus tooling but the first post I made the pictures just were little post stamps and poor quality if zoomed , I see better full size pictures by others , and I think I have posted better pictures in the past. just looking for some tips, I use a Iphone 7 plus and the pictures are nice on my ipad. I used the standard uploader on this site but maybe need to change some options that I didn’t see ?
Thanks

I'm on a couple of forums where you can't post directly so I went with Imgur ( Do Not use Photobucket ). I'm happy with the features and it's user friendly enough.

Sorry, I run Windows 10 so can't help much with Apple stuff. You might want to try cropping/resizing you pics a bit. In general I reduce to 20%-25% original and they fit under the cap most sites have.

Pro tip: you can take good pictures with a crappy camera but not crappy lighting. A piece of tissue paper over the lens of a flashlight will help diffuse the light and remove the glare for significantly improved image quality.

I would like to get rid of some surplus tooling but the first post I made the pictures just were little post stamps and poor quality if zoomed , I see better full size pictures by others , and I think I have posted better pictures in the past. just looking for some tips, I use a Iphone 7 plus and the pictures are nice on my ipad. I used the standard uploader on this site but maybe need to change some options that I didn’t see ?
Thanks

forum auto resizes and auto compresses uploaded pictures. you do better resizing them ahead of time. no way forum allows uploading 5mp pictures. you get pictures down to 100 kb it usually works better
59kb picture works ok as shown click to view larger

Attachments

• BN_job1.JPG
    BN_job1.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 135
I'd like help with the same thing as Jim posted about. I liked using photobucket to post my photos here. They always seem to come out just right. Although I see the larger photos posted now most are the small thumbnail type. I prefer the big photos. Another thing I have notice on some of the thumbnails (after clicking on them) is some have a close button and some don't. The ones with the close button allow you to jump right back into the thread.

Andy

I'd like help with the same thing as Jim posted about. I liked using photobucket to post my photos here. They always seem to come out just right. Although I see the larger photos posted now most are the small thumbnail type. I prefer the big photos. Another thing I have notice on some of the thumbnails (after clicking on them) is some have a close button and some don't. The ones with the close button allow you to jump right back into the thread.

Andy

forum is designed for icon you click on to open picture that fits on average screen fast
having a post to many many hugh pictures from other web sites taking a long time to load is well rude in a persons face rude like having videos start auto playing. even if icon link opens picture at least its cause person wants to open that picture and clicked on it.

You said you used this site's image hosting. OK. Two things you need to consider when doing this.

1. You should scale the photo to about 800 pixels wide before uploading it. The site's software does not do this. You can do this with Microsoft Paint. Just open the picture with Paint, then use the Resize command. Click Pixels and type 800 in the horizontal box. Click OK. Then save it as a JPEG file. That file is what you upload.

2. After you upload it to the site's storage area, it will be in an album. Open that album and then click on that picture. That picture will open in a window by itself and there will be TWO links under it. Use the SECOND link, the ".img" link. Copy it and paste it where you want the photo to appear. The photo will appear full size with a width of 800 pixels on computer monitors. I do not know exactly how each and every phone or tablet device will display it, but I suspect it will be either full screen or close to it.

Caution: if you do not want to irritate the viewers, do not use a width that is much more than 800 pixels wide. When that is done, the photo tries to be the determining factor for the displayed page width and the text above and below it will be displayed using the same width as the photo. So, in order to read the text, the viewer will have to use the horizontal scroll bar to go back and forth on each and every line of text to read it. This becomes very irritating, VERY quickly. 800 pixels will display on almost every computer screen in use today and using that number will avoid this problem.

Makes me wonder if the PM system I have used all along is the one being discussed:D

Hit advanced, scroll down to manage attachments and follow thru on finding and uploading file as thumbnail

The system does infallibly resize all such

There is no img selection

The clicked on thumbnail always provides an image presentation that is always sizeable

Example below is less than 92Kb

You said you used this site's image hosting. OK. Two things you need to consider when doing this.

1. You should scale the photo to about 800 pixels wide before uploading it. The site's software does not do this. You can do this with Microsoft Paint. Just open the picture with Paint, then use the Resize command. Click Pixels and type 800 in the horizontal box. Click OK. Then save it as a JPEG file. That file is what you upload.

2. After you upload it to the site's storage area, it will be in an album. Open that album and then click on that picture. That picture will open in a window by itself and there will be TWO links under it. Use the SECOND link, the ".img" link. Copy it and paste it where you want the photo to appear. The photo will appear full size with a width of 800 pixels on computer monitors. I do not know exactly how each and every phone or tablet device will display it, but I suspect it will be either full screen or close to it.

Caution: if you do not want to irritate the viewers, do not use a width that is much more than 800 pixels wide. When that is done, the photo tries to be the determining factor for the displayed page width and the text above and below it will be displayed using the same width as the photo. So, in order to read the text, the viewer will have to use the horizontal scroll bar to go back and forth on each and every line of text to read it. This becomes very irritating, VERY quickly. 800 pixels will display on almost every computer screen in use today and using that number will avoid this problem.

Attachments

• leblond_1917a.jpg
    leblond_1917a.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 77
just testing

just testing some photos , in the past this site has automatically sized my photos to about 80 to 90 kb and they show full page with clarity when clicked on , now it resizes them to 20 kb and I only see a thumbnail and clicking on it only makes the thumbnail a little bigger and blurry, I also can’t drag my old previously uploaded photos into the posting box. Something has changed for me , as it has worked simply for me in the past using Johns instructions, going to advanced and uploading . This is on an Ipad , but that is all I have used for years , now they resize to 20 kb ?

Attachments

• C47FA5C8-9FA3-49C9-AD06-F7D66D6DA13C.jpg
    C47FA5C8-9FA3-49C9-AD06-F7D66D6DA13C.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 98
  • D5E59E58-77A3-4347-AAB9-29FB2F2B42D7.jpg
    D5E59E58-77A3-4347-AAB9-29FB2F2B42D7.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 103
just testing some photos , in the past this site has automatically sized my photos to about 80 to 90 kb and they show full page with clarity when clicked on , now it resizes them to 20 kb and I only see a thumbnail and clicking on it only makes the thumbnail a little bigger and blurry, I also can’t drag my old previously uploaded photos into the posting box. Something has changed for me , as it has worked simply for me in the past using Johns instructions, going to advanced and uploading . This is on an Ipad , but that is all I have used for years , now they resize to 20 kb ?
My IPad started doing the same thing as yours. I finely give up I have no idea how to fix it. It would sure be nice to have it working like it did before, I have some photos I would like to share.

Thanks for the information. I really didn't know that the thumbnails are preferred. I still prefer to see the full size photos in a thread I'm opening. I will just go with the flow.

Andy

Andy
Try hitting the ESC key if you don't see a close button. That works on my desktop computer.

Must be the mobile "devices" since the desk top works great - which is all I have:)

forum is designed for icon you click on to open picture that fits on average screen fast
having a post to many many hugh pictures from other web sites taking a long time to load is well rude in a persons face rude like having videos start auto playing. even if icon link opens picture at least its cause person wants to open that picture and clicked on it.

Hello DMF_TomB
I believe that "a picture is worth a 1,000 words"!:eek: For me, I would sooner post a detailed pic than spend 10X the time doing my "hunt & peck" 1 finger typing on the keyboard.:mad5: I would also sooner spend the time looking at a detailed pic than reading a bunch of text. I find it annoying when I click on that thumbnail & get an image that really isn't much larger. What's the point?

Capture.jpg
Snip of thumbnail.

Capture1.jpg
Snip of detail pic.
Can you see the difference???:confused::confused::confused:

Hello Jim Moser
Same here. When I click on those thumbnails I get a SHITTY little image not much larger than the thumbnail. I see no fine detail at all, & I'm looking at it on a 22" monitor!:mad5:

Well something has changed on this site, my last picture I posted on 1-15-2017 with the same iphone camera and it was automatically resized to 98 kb and it shows full screen when clicked on, along with 68 previous photos I have stored on this site, now anything I upload is sized to 20 kb if I access them from my photos, I did try the option to take a picture with the ipad and it got resized to 97 kb ? Using a desktop PC might work but that involves sitting in my office and then transferring photos to the PC like I did years ago. Like many my phone is my only camera and it is so easy to access . Hope this can get resolved back to how it used to work. I also am not able to drag any of my stored photos into the posting box like the instructions say to do?

any thing you see on a computer screen if you press print screen button prtscr is copied to clip board and you can paste into a photoediting software for cropping and any editing you see fit
when you save as a jpeg or jpg most software offers option on how much compression 75 to 90% is normal so after save as you can look at file size.
....each file type has different limits on size. you need to turn of file extensions to see what type you got in file explorer
windoes 7 accessories has a snipping tool this also allows drawing a box to crop what you see on screen and can copy to clip board
these are basic windows skills normally taught first few days and most schools teach it to students. there are also books on basic computer usage that teach it too

Obviously I was not talking about what you have been using. First, there definitely IS an IMG link:

attachment.php

I had to size the shot to show the PM headliner, but you can still see the highlighted link at the bottom. It starts with "IMG". They call it the "BB Code".

I was under the impression that the BB's code does not resize the photos when you upload them in the "normal" way. I tried some larger ones and they failed to upload. So I resize them first.

After Photrobucket started their blackmail, I worked out the procedure for using the vBulletin software's image hosting feature. This BB uses vBulletin and others also do. I worked it out for the HSM board but this board's software is very similar so you can follow this procedure here with just a few modifications. It uploads a full size image and if you use the IMG link you do not get those awful Thumbnails.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/th...his-Board-s-Hosting-Service-The-Short-Strokes

Makes me wonder if the PM system I have used all along is the one being discussed:D

Hit advanced, scroll down to manage attachments and follow thru on finding and uploading file as thumbnail

The system does infallibly resize all such

There is no img selection

The clicked on thumbnail always provides an image presentation that is always sizeable

Example below is less than 92Kb

Oh, and please notice that in my previous post, the image that I just uploaded and displayed is full size and it has nice detail. It is not small. It is not restricted in resolution, well OK, it is just a tad blurred. But not much. Perhaps the vBulletin software did compress it a bit. But it is a full 800 pixels wide and 7xx tall.

I do not know why anyone would use thumbnails. I just don't.

Back