Posting better pictures help - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the info on how to use a desktop PC, but , like John stated a desktop PC works perfect, resizes to about 90kb and I can access any photos on my PC or this site and post them perfectly. In the old days a portable camera ,photobucket and a PC were the only option. Now days ,pictures I take are on my portable device so it is so simple to share and that has worked perfectly with this site and others but lately it is not functioning on this site only, so somebody changed something, just resizing to 20 kb is a useless size picture . Many people on here comment that they like pictures and I agree, so why make it difficult? I know ther are plenty of options for transferring photos to a PC but they all take time and effort that shouldn’t be necessary. I don’t think I am the only Ipad user on this site, maybe the boss is a desktop guy .please make it easy ,like it was before to share photos.
    Thanks , Jim

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Moser View Post
    Thanks for all the info on how to use a desktop PC, but , like John stated a desktop PC works perfect, resizes to about 90kb and I can access any photos on my PC or this site and post them perfectly. In the old days a portable camera ,photobucket and a PC were the only option. Now days ,pictures I take are on my portable device so it is so simple to share and that has worked perfectly with this site and others but lately it is not functioning on this site only, so somebody changed something, just resizing to 20 kb is a useless size picture . Many people on here comment that they like pictures and I agree, so why make it difficult? I know ther are plenty of options for transferring photos to a PC but they all take time and effort that shouldn’t be necessary. I don’t think I am the only Ipad user on this site, maybe the boss is a desktop guy .please make it easy ,like it was before to share photos.
    Thanks , Jim
    picture was 350 kb and on upload its 92.2kb picture is a jpg and works with no problems. the file resizing and compression is automatically done by forum software
    filename.jpg if your computer not creating correct file type with proper file extension then forum software will put limits on it
    other picture was 59kb and its 58.9kb since it was already sized ok and already compressed ok it left picture as it was
    other file types like png or bmp you will have more problems trying to upload
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hardwareshoppingcenterningbo.jpg   bn_job1.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

took 1 second to find ipad makes jpg or png files
    png file will have more limits than a standard jpg file
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ipadpictures.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK , all my files uploaded to this site are jpg and were automatically resized to about 90 kb, but recently the same photo uploaded to this site is automatically resized to about 20 kb and also any previously uploaded photos can not be dropped into the posting section ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK , all my files uploaded to this site are jpg and were automatically resized to about 90 kb, but recently the same photo uploaded to this site is automatically resized to about 20 kb and also any previously uploaded photos can not be dropped into the posting section ?
    check filename i have seen where it was
    filename.jpg.png
    if you have extensions not visible you can see filename.jpg and not see the actual png file extension
    and if file is a filename.png file just renaming it to .jpg does not change it to filename.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

jpg comes in different types lossless is zip compressed and picture quality not effected. lossy compression you set like 90% and in theory picture quality goes down as compressed more, like to 80% when file size gets smaller
    if making lossless zip compressed jpg files not sure what forum software does. i just use regular jpg at about 80 to 90% compression. at 70% or less the picture quality is noticeable in my experience

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"This is on an Ipad ..." Well, yes it looks like they are resized for that device. Why is that a surprise? I use a computer, not that dummed-down device. You get what you pay for.

"Something has changed for me ..." Have you read the recent news about Apple lowering the performance of their older devices? You don't even get what you paid for. You get less.

I use a computer. A desktop. Nice big screen. And I post nice, viewable photos. And I didn't stand in line or pay a fortune to Apple. They would have to pay me to use an Ipad. And provide a magnifier so I can see the screen better.

just testing some photos , in the past this site has automatically sized my photos to about 80 to 90 kb and they show full page with clarity when clicked on , now it resizes them to 20 kb and I only see a thumbnail and clicking on it only makes the thumbnail a little bigger and blurry, I also can’t drag my old previously uploaded photos into the posting box. Something has changed for me , as it has worked simply for me in the past using Johns instructions, going to advanced and uploading . This is on an Ipad , but that is all I have used for years , now they resize to 20 kb ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All this talk about sizing your pictures to a certain file size (in kBites) is part of the problem. I do not resize my photos to any particular file size. I size them to 800 PIXELS wide and let the software (in Paint) decide what file size is needed.

By shooting for a file size in kBites you are letting the software decide on the amount of resolution and it obviously is not making that decision the way you want it. If you say you want a 20 kB file size and you have a picture with a lot of detail, then the JPEG encoding software will need to limit the resolution to get that file size. And you lose a lot of detail. If you say you want 800 pixels wide, it will encode to that level of resolution and the file size will be adjusted to hold that resolution with YOUR particular picture and it's level of detail. A flat black screen that is 800 x 600 pixels (480,000 pixels in all) can be encoded with just a few dozen bytes. But a highly detailed photo where there are many, many different and small details would require a lot larger file size to properly encode it at the same 800 x 600 pixel level. Most of our photos are more like the latter and less like the former.

Size by pixels, not kBites. And if your "device" does not allow that, then it is RETARDED, even if it has an image of a piece of fruit on it.