What's new
What's new

pot metal strength vs brass

Bill D

Diamond
I have to replace some lift spring linkage bits on my home windows. The originals were made of cast pot metal. The broke under the constant spring load So I need to make replacements. Would brass be stronger then the pot metal? I could use some tool steel or mild iron but that would rust and become unsightly.
All I can find online in 3/16x3/8 stainless is 304 stainless and I do not want to deal with tapping that.
Bil lD

There is probably some overlap in strength of annealed brass and the better "pot metals", but yes brass is generally stronger. Bronze would be even better.

Aluminum bronze has a little higher tensile strength than mild steel.

I would use 6061 aluminum. The "pot metal" is probably zinc which is not known for long term durability under load. Zinc is cheap, easy to cast and some alloys perform reasonably but not like aluminum. The other reason not to use brass is that if it is contact with aluminum and is wet, the electrical battery action will corrode the aluminum.

Tom

This effect is used on the ubiquitous aluminium ute trays......all the fasteners are small steel bolts and nuts,and the protective effect of the aluminium keeps them from rusting.....one of my ally trays is over 40 years old , out in the weather,all the nuts ,bolts and ,screws are still able to easily be removed......

The window itself is vynil so what metal does not matter on that end but this pin goes into a potmetal socket on the spring lifter so I think I will use brass to reduce any galvanic corrosion.
Bill D.

Back