What's new
What's new

Potential cure for sticking taper tool holders

I had a similar problem withan R-8 spindle. I first cleaned the quill with a grease and gunk remover which I do not recall the name right now. Then cleaned all the R-8 holders. I sprayed " Slip-It " in the quill.
This worked .

I don't see a problem doing this on a taper that locks the taper tool with lugs, but the R8 really needs metal-to-metal friction on the taper to not spin. The locating key is not a driving key, and if the tool locks in the work you'll soon see the problem trying to use it in that way.

Is it a dry lube? Not sure I'd want it in there otherwise. Oh and MM, I think we're finally going to get started on those Monoset ID grinding arbors this week. Been a little hectic.

Is it a dry lube? Not sure I'd want it in there otherwise. Oh and MM, I think we're finally going to get started on those Monoset ID grinding arbors this week. Been a little hectic.

It sprays on wet but you are supposed to let it dry. A friend Is using it on a Mazak and it has stopped the loud bang at tool changes. No worries on the arbors

If you like the smell of oranges
try Houdini Oil. It is a dry lube
that locksmiths use. Might work well
on sticky tapers. It dries invisible.

-Doozer

Glad to hear that someone more experienced than I am is having trouble with this. The steep tapers are self-releasing, and I always thought that meant they would release easily.

I’ve got a horizontal mill with a 40 NMTB spindle. Spindle taper is in very good shape, and arbors and tool holders are also very good. But it often takes a few good hits on the drawbar with a lead hammer to remove them.

Maybe putting a cool toolholder into a warmer spindle is part of the reason. But in any case it’s nice to know that it’s not just me.

Glad to hear that someone more experienced than I am is having trouble with this. The steep tapers are self-releasing, and I always thought that meant they would release easily.

I’ve got a horizontal mill with a 40 NMTB spindle. Spindle taper is in very good shape, and arbors and tool holders are also very good. But it often takes a few good hits on the drawbar with a lead hammer to remove them.

Maybe putting a cool toolholder into a warmer spindle is part of the reason. But in any case it’s nice to know that it’s not just me.

Try the spray, I think you will like it.

Back