Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm wondering why you didn't return it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Won" at estate auction. Its a pretty nice bench, $20. I may have paid too much though!

3. Likes Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bench or Table?

When you said table I assumed it would be something you'd be eating off of, and how could you enjoy a meal with beetles nipping at your elbows?

5. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    Bench or Table?

When you said table I assumed it would be something you'd be eating off of, and how could you enjoy a meal with beetles nipping at your elbows?
    Soak it in Paraquat.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

workshop benchtop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pxl_20210722_153607434.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The expert exterminators will bury that in the ground in some chamber and flood with lethal gas.
    Powder Post Beetles are among the worst.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I worked for a couple of years in a lab running cold treatment tests for fruit to kill all stages of tropical fruit flies. It was along the lines of 1 degree C for seven days or 3 degrees C for nine days to kill eggs, larvae, pupae and flies with over 99% confidence. I dare say that freezing wood won't spoil it like fruit would and be a lot more lethal to insects.

10. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My old house had pine floors riddled with borers ,some floors were unsound to walk on.......Anyhoo,I mixed up tubs full of pentachlor phenol and kerosine ,and saturated the floors with the solution ....turned the pine from pale yellow to dark brown......smell was a bit powerful,took six months to abate.........in the 50 years since ,there has not been another borer.........and her indoors foolishly installed a setee with West Indian Drywood termites ,not a single termite migrated into the house......and they love pine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perdue University has a nice monograph on PPB. I’d trust them to get it right. Here is the key sentence:

“Wooden items can be cooled to 0°F for several weeks or heated to 150°F for 4 hours to kill infestations, but care must be taken not to damage the wood in the freezing or heating process.”

Powderpost Beetles

The trick will be heating the core of the wood to that temp which could take many hours to just get up to temp. It sounds like your exposure to sunlight gets the surface hot enough. To see what the core temp is, bore a(nother) small hole in it and stick in a meat thermometer. If you want to actually kill the infestation, you are going to have to pull off the top and find/make a heat treat chamber or walk-in freezer or find a pest control company and bag it and gas it.

From another site: "
    Originally developed by the Dow Chemical Company, sulfuryl fluoride is in widespread use as a structural fumigantinsecticide to control drywood termites, particularly in warm-weather portions of the southwestern and southeastern United States and in Hawaii. Less commonly, it can also be used to control rodents, powderpost beetles, deathwatch beetles, bark beetles, and bedbugs. Its use has increased as a replacement for methyl bromide, which was phased out because of harm to the ozone layer. It is an alternative to the use of phosphine, which is acutely toxic.[11]"

Denis

Sulfuryl fluoride is a gas used to fumigate closed structures and their contents for drywood and Formosan termites, wood infesting beetles, bedbugs, carpet beetles, clothes moths, cockroaches, and rodents. Sulfuryl fluoride is an odorless, colorless gas.

13. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Anyhoo,I mixed up tubs full of pentachlor phenol and kerosine ,and saturated the floors with the solution .....smell was a bit powerful,took six months to abate.
    John.K, I've never heard something that sounds more Australian.

Country
    PORTUGAL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Soak it in Paraquat.....
    Paraquat is a herbicide.
    To kill bugs, you use a pesticide.

Killing bugs in wood needs a huge dose of a strong pesticide; I did it in the past, but now I throw out any interior wood that gets contaminated by bugs. The stuff that works shouldn't be used inside a closed habitation.

If it's possible to bake the whole thing and kill with heat, that would be different.

16. Likes reggie_obe, JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark in Portugal View Post
    Paraquat is a herbicide.
    To kill bugs, you use a pesticide.

Killing bugs in wood needs a huge dose of a strong pesticide; I did it in the past, but now I throw out any interior wood that gets contaminated by bugs. The stuff that works shouldn't be used inside a closed habitation.

If it's possible to bake the whole thing and kill with heat, that would be different.
    Who cares ?

I figure at least it would doo something.....
    Paraquat - Paraquat Litigation Center

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm going to continue to leave it out in the sun, then inject any remaining open boreholes with polyurethane, recoat the top and see if any more emerge as I know some have evacuated already. After that I'll bag it in the shop for however long after that the gestation period of the eggs would be. If I see any more I may put a thermocouple on one side and see if I can get enough heat into it to get to 150f from the other side with judicious application of heat from a weed burner so I know its heated clear thru. (I don't think this would be possible without an enclosure, but might be worth trying). If not I guess I'll have to find a kiln or walk in freezer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ask around for a sawmill near you. They might run it with a load of their lumber. Only complication there is that a standard cycle for drying green lumber might not be suitable for your glued up table top. But ask anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Autobody shops bake cars at 120-140F in many cases after painting. It MIGHT be possible to get them to cook your table top at 150 for a few hours. A six-pack might help. ;-) I hear that baking is less common than it used to be. But it is still done.

Denis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ahh- I didn't think of that one. They also use infra-red lamp arrays for curing. I have a guy I'll need to ask.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember that WD-40 can be sprayed in holes to exterminate or have the critters leave.
    If it works then those spray cans would work. Not sure if this works, just heard about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made this sterilizer box, with some 1-1/2" rigid insulation and a sheet of Plexiglas, works great, something like this should get your wood up to temp with no problem, the item should be blocked up off the bottom, near the top is much hotter, this temp gauge is near the bottom in the shade, it got close to 200f and was not sealed very well. A solar water heating panel will boil water, I have had them flow 210f water, downright dangerous if your not careful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s1.jpg   s4.jpg  

24. Likes TeachMePlease, mark in Portugal liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Paraquat (Diquat ) have been the agents of any number of tragic deaths .....the solution looks and smells like Coke ,and is often stored by users in a soft drink bottle......Once ingested ,the poison takes a week to kill,there is no antidote ,and the victim feels quite unaffected until the last days .....it is a death sentence,death within 7 days .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The other way to kill is cold. I have heard ads on the radio for the environmentaly correct way to fumigate for termites. They spray liquid nitrogen in the walls and freeze the little devils out.
    Bill D

On edit: 0 degrees F for 72 hours will kill the bugs. I assume it takes hours for the core temperature to drop.

Thermal Deinfestation of Household Items | Entomology