What's new
What's new

Power assembly press recommendations ?

kla64

Aluminum
So, we have a process that requires a thin sleeve be pressed over an arbor. We then machine the sleeve and press it off the arbor.

Using a bench top arbor press.. not sure the size.

The machining process is fast. 1 minute maybe.. The weak link is the press operation. Operator fatigue, boredom, etc., greatly slows the output.

I'm looking for recommendations of a power press (air, air/hydraulic, electric ), from anyone doing something similar.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

So you're removing the arbor from the lathe each time? Why not use an expanding arbor and keep the process entirely in the lathe? Manual, air, hydraulic - there's lots of options...

Yes, arbor is loaded with each new part.

The process is od grinding a . 060" wall ring. We need the expanded ID held consistent size. We've tried pie jaws, and 5c expandable collet. Any gap between segments causes the OD to push away.

With that small of tonnage requirements, I can see a small enerpac cylinder,
with the air powered "shoebox with foot treadle" pump.

Hand held cylinder with some custom tooling on the threaded nose, reach in
the lathe, step on the pedal and pull the part off.

Use a double acting cylinder, and you can push them on too.

You do realise that with a power press, you will need something that is enclosed and requires 2 hand operation. OSHA is very specific on that. This will probably slow your cycle time even more.

As Milland stated, give Positrol a call. Used them before and there stuff works. All kinds of applications and I'm certain that they have something similar to what you're trying to do.
JR

Thanks for the comments. I'll give Positrol a call. I also found a press by Magnum, MCC series, that I'm going to check out.

I didn't think about the guarding / OSHA compliance issues. So, I'll have to consider that in any decisions.

^ from when i last enquired they start at a bit over 1K and go on up as size, controls and power source increases. They sure are nice though and the customer i have using one for a assembly job loves it, certainly a massive diffrence to there old nasty arbour press.

Back