What's new
What's new

Power scraping. Anyone tried to convert a Makita HK0500 for metal?

Holescreek

Titanium
I have been looking for a power scraper to rough down the ways of a machine I'm currently working on. Occasionally a biax will show up on Ebay but not very often. I was searching the net today for " power scraper" and ran across a Makita HK0500. It looks like a short stroke sawzall with a round nose and accepts chisels for scraping up floor tile etc. They have a larger model as well. http://www.mytoolstore.com/makita/mak07-06.html

I searched for model info specifically trying to find out what kind of stroke length they have with no success. Some of the literature I read mentioned that they could be used for removing weld splatter. What if a hand scraper blade was retrofitted to work in the spindle of this thing? Anyone have one of these or better yet tried to use it on cast iron? -Mike

The power scrapers we had on hand at Savannah had a variable stroke length and variable speed. You'll need both for it to be viable as a useful power scraper.

Also need enough mass to not move a lot when cutting metal

Biax has that, even though folks complain about the weight.

John Oder

Yup. As was said. You need variable stroke 1/8 min to 3/4 max and rate from 150 to 1500 strokeds per minute. You need straight harmonic reciprocation. I believe that Makita thing uses impact to drive a chicel or scraper to remove floor tile etc. Probably not what you have in mind.

I'm presently working on a power scraper mod of a HF auto buffer starting with an initial run of 12 but I can't keep the price down to affordability. Looks like the purchase price will be about $400 for the power scraper scraper and a set of blades but that's far in excess if what I had in mind.

Rig up an overhead pipe that can be rolled about over the work. Get a tool balancer to help hold up the Biax. My old back can't deal with the Biax for long periods,and if you are not comfortable,it will interfere with your work's quality. Biax manual recommends this,too.

Forrest is right, that Makita is a chipping hammer, not a scraper.

The closest thing to the motion of a power scraper I can get my brain around is a sawzall. If you could find one of those with variable speed and a variable stroke length, you might have something. By the time you finish retrofitting it to take scraper blades, you'll be right back to the price of an Ebay Biax.

Forrest, perhaps you can find something else of quality that would be an alternative to the HF garbage and then just sell the parts as a kit?

Jim, The conversion I'm working on will also work on the Sears and Milwaukee polishers (with some extra mods for the Milwaukee) and most others provided the gear ratios are right. The parts will mostly interchange with other polishers but I selected the HF as (1) cheap and (b) fairly well constructed for the price.

I have an article in HSM in mind once I get the wrinkles worked out. The conversion is not rocket science but there are many details to work out.

OK, the 0500 doesn't have a slow enough variable speed. How about this one.http://www.makita.com/assets_product/_parts_breakdowns/PB_HK1810.pdf It has 0-3200 bpm and it looks like part #13 sets the stroke length. If part 13 could be remade with an adjustable post/slotted dovetail accessible from the top it just might work, at least in reducing the stroke. It looks like it'd have to be used upside-down though to get the scraper down to the proper angle though. -Mike

long as it's being talked about

Anybody that's used red lead or tube Dykum, Have you tried the water stuff that biax is selling now? How well do it work ? Keeps the fingers from being the object of too many off colored jokes? BTW how about a good, cheap source for that rubber piece in the clamp area of the biax tool holders.

Nope, still an impact hammer. As I said, think more in terms of a sawzall. The motion of the biax is really not violent. A smooth reciprocating movement like a fast shaper.

Anybody that's used red lead or tube Dykum, Have you tried the water stuff that biax is selling now? How well do it work ? Keeps the fingers from being the object of too many off colored jokes? BTW how about a good, cheap source for that rubber piece in the clamp area of the biax tool holders.

I've used the Dapra water based stuff and really like it. I've also used Dykem Hi-Spot, mixed my own from raw Prussian Blue (there's a mess!), and gotten some custom mix from one of the old school scraper hands here. The Dapra behaves a bit differently, but in my opinion is just as good as the oil/grease based stuff. I have the blue, red, and orange.

Besides being easy to clean from your hands it is also easy to clean off the metal. I use alcohol- easy on everything.

On the power scraping- I have a Biax and have used it on some larger and smaller surfaces. Works nice. But in talking to some old scraper hands in these parts they seem to regard it as a tool just for REALLY big stuff. One guy was scraping in a Schaublin 53, which aint a small mill, and had done it all by hand. Rough it out with a Dapra style push scraper, and then they finish it off with the little dainty Swiss pull scrapers.

I still like the Biax and once you get used to it you can do some really fine work. Oddly I like it best when getting into tight spots where it can be hard to control a manual scraper. The drawback of the Biax is it shakes the piss out of your arms and leaves my ears ringing. The opposite of the peaceful reflection during manual scraping.

I've used the Dapra water based stuff and really like it.

Ditto -- I switched from Hi-Spot Blue to Dapra Canode, and I love it.

I spent 6 hours in the shop last night power scraping a vertical reference plane for a glass scale on the base of my Millrite mill. When you're crawling around up inside a machine to scrape it, you get covered in a lapping paste of spotting blue and cast iron dust, and Dapra Canode comes off 1,000 times easier than Dykem HiSpot.

And it spots just as well -- maybe even better because its slightly thinner than the traditional oil-based Prussian Blue.

I found the Biax handy when scraping in the surface plate I brought to the Savannah class. When you are dealing with a lot of surface area, as on the surface plate or a very large machine tool, it's a life saver. On small ways, like a bench lathe cross slide, it is a total waste. You can have it hand scraped by the time you plug in the Biax.

Wow, thanks forrest

I though it was unobtainium, least wise that's what I'd been told. I'll try not to store it with the grandkids babyfood jars, ok.

Here's some more from my old writings:

Prussian blue is made with a non-drying petroleum based vehicle. If kept in a closed container and away from oxygen, it may keep its consistency for generations. I have remnants of tubes from my apprentice days in the early '60's that still spreads acceptably. Some are Dykem some are Permatex. I prefer Dykem. The Canode stuff works well but when it comes to the realy touchy finishing operations I still fall back on Prussian blue and red lead.

Let's define a few things. Prussian blue is usually used as a transfer medium, that is, it's applied in a thin uniform film to the reference which is then rubbed on the work. Prussian blue is thereby transferred to the work's high spots. The scraper hand works these down and repeats until the entire surface of the work is freckled.

Sooner or later the scraper hand has to reduce the film thickness to achieve greater sensitivity. The smaller indications may disappear against the glare and flash of the scraped surface and to remedy that we use a contrast medium. The chromatic opposite of blue is orange. For many generations the complement of Prussian blue has been red lead oxide. Two of the virtues of Prussian blue and red lead oxide is their low abrasion characteristics and the density of very thin films that appear dull black against the work. Red lead oxide is entirely too toxic to use in present day industry although I've used it for over thirty years and I'm alright (twitch!) all right (twitch!) all right (twitch!) SLAP!! I'm fine.

For those who may be unaware of the term "contrast medium," it's a color in oil applied to the work as a means of making the print indications transferred from the scraping reference more visible. I prefer orange (red lead oxide is perfect except for heavy metal toxicity) or chrome yellow when contrasted with prussian blue. The chrome yellow can be applied as thinly as red lead and the indications come out with a greenish cast that makes them more readily distinguishable from false indications like fuzz and debris. To answer the question, you can't buy chrome yellow contrast medium. You have to make it from the dry artist's pigment mixed with short fiber bearing grease to the consistency of spreadable butter or tooth paste.

The film thickness of the contrast media can be adjusted with the edge of the hand. There's nothing like clean dry skin for this. I prefer a film thickness that can be described as a faint haze barely tinged with color.

In some spasm of generosity an old time paint store owner gave the opera company a supply of dry paint pigments. I experimented with them and with one exception they made poor transfer or contrast media for scraping. Chrome yellow makes an excellent contrast medium. Its abrasion is low meaning your scrapers will maintain their edge and it's bright yellow color makes for olive green indications at least as well as the dark grey ones from red lead.

It's interesting if time consuming to experiment with things like the perfect scraping pigment media. Lamp black works well but it's very difficult to acheive a smooth media with it.

There are many choises for vehicle. Some use a little oil others a volatile solvent. For what it's worth I use a short fiber soft ball bearing grease, a putty knife and a glazed floor tile as a mixing pallet. Add pigment to the grease folding it in and smearing to ensure distribution and smoothness. Fold in as much pigment as the grease will take without the stuff getting cakey or hard to spread. If your color isn't smooth and uniform and your wrist doesn't get sore you're not working the process hard enough. Mix, fold, scrape the stuff to the center and start over. Sooner or later you'll get a smooth densly colored paste that suits scraping needs.

Back