What's new
What's new

power washer-adding hot water?

Bluechipx

Hot Rolled
I have a (great?) 18hp Honda 4,500 psi(never actually seen 4,500 while using it though) power washer and have been told by two people now that without the hot water option, they wouldn't even own one. Question, is this a possible add on? Also, is the hot water added before or after the high pressure pump? My hose says max temp 230F, does anyone know the actual temperature the hot water washers usually get? I've always been content by the job my washer does, but now the hot water guys have sparked my interest.

I have run mine from the water heater and it works great as long as you crank the temp to about 150F. High pressure cold water removes grease mechanicly, hot water tends to soften or melt it for much better action.

Ed.

I have a couple power washers intended for use with "COLD WATER". In both cases the pump manufacturer (Cat and General) recommend water no hotter than 140*F. They claim the pump seals and pistons cannot withstand any higher temperatures.

If you have a gas powered pressure washer that does not have a water supply tank.
You have to be careful about running for long periods without pulling the trigger.
The bypassing water travels in a small loop and starts getting hot enough to damage the pump.
Having a water supply tank adds enough water into this loop that overheating is not a problem.

Just be extra careful if using hot water.

I have a couple power washers intended for use with "COLD WATER". In both cases the pump manufacturer (Cat and General) recommend water no hotter than 140*F. They claim the pump seals and pistons cannot withstand any higher temperatures.

I'd expect the seals can handle higher temperatures, but the fact remains that water flow through the pump is a primary cooling action, dumping the heat generated by mechanical work into the fluid as it passes through. A more realistic number for most sealing materials would be 220°F or better, but they want that 60~80° temperature difference to make sure it can stay below that temperature indefinitely.

well the all in one units are in the range of $7000 or so, so my guess without some dedicated parts, i would say not a good idea

I would think propane would eliminate the pump, burner, ignition coil, etc.

A simple regulator and control valve, sparker button to light it off.

I would think propane would eliminate the pump, burner, ignition coil, etc.

A simple regulator and control valve, sparker button to light it off.

This works well if you have constant flow. If you stop the flow the burner keeps running and makes a great steam generator. DAMHIK.

Ed.

Thousands of PSI steam could be an explosion waiting to happen. Even if the water is under boiling temperature the pump friction might heat it enough to cause steam pockets and pump cavatation.
Bill D.

Bluechipx
What do you use your pressure washer on? Heat really makes a difference in effectiveness on grease, oil, and paint removal. Yes, the heater always goes after the pump. For the person that suggested propane fired heater, consider the size of tank you would need to match btu equivalent of diesel, and the size of tank needed to keep it from freezing up.

I have a pump/heater combo unit now, my problem is that the water coming out of faucet is so cold that it barely reaches the hot category (I don't have an exact temp) exiting the machine, its another 200' of hose till the wand at which point the water is just warm, I need one of those add on heaters mounted to the boom lift so I can get HOT water.

I have an electric pump, propane burner combo unit. It has 2 30 pound cylinders on it. It has a similar furnace gun style burner. I think without the forced air, you wouldn't get enough heat in that small of volume. I think it is 385,000 BTU.

I have an electric pump, propane burner combo unit. It has 2 30 pound cylinders on it. It has a similar furnace gun style burner. I think without the forced air, you wouldn't get enough heat in that small of volume. I think it is 385,000 BTU.

For the person that suggested propane fired heater, consider the size of tank you would need to match btu equivalent of diesel, and the size of tank needed to keep it from freezing up.

Well.....looks like they doo make them, and they appear to work.

No need for astrophysics theoretical guesses then eh ?

Back