What's new
What's new

Powermatic 143 Band Saw - Won't go into low gear

buening

Plastic
I own one of the old green Powermatic 143 band saws and for the few years I've owned it the saw has worked great. I've used low gear for steel and flipped to high gear and blade change for woodwork. I love its versatility! It's been in high gear for about a year or so and recently went to switch to low and it simply will not go into low gear. I rotated the pulley slow, fast, and in both directions. It will pop out of high and go into neutral easily and then pop back into high gear just as easy, but nothing will make it go into low gear. Short of draining the oil and opening the case to look for broken parts, does anyone have any thoughts or have had this issue before?

Hi Buening, I always find it difficult to shift the knob/lever up into low gear. What I do is move the knob up into neutral and then rotate the actual blade manually until the knob finally goes into low. Try this, and I think it will work for you. They go back into high easily by just rotating the belt pulley a bit. I always shift my band saws into low before I leave the shop in case some "expert" comes in and tries to cut steel and ruins the blade. Tom from Mass

Tom you seriously just made my day. That worked!!! I knew there had to be a trick somehow. Much appreciated!

Back