What's new
What's new

Powermatic Model 87 questions

Barron

Cast Iron
I recently picked up a model 87 bandsaw and have these questions:

1. Anyone know of a source of parts for the compressor, other than Powermatic?

The air compressor appears to have been ran low on oil and the aluminum piston is pretty scarred and the rings are pinned in the groove on one side, thus, no compression. The cylinder wall looks pretty good though! The pump is a model 28, made by E. L. Smith & Sons, Quincy, IL. I know the easiest (cheapest) route would be to hook up an airline, but thought I'd look into keeping it original.

2. Can someone put a manufacturing date on this saw?

Model 87, serial number 8187240 I think all the 87's I've seen or read about were originally green. This one seems to have the gold paint as original.

This saw seems to be in good shape overall, with the exception of the compressor and the multiple layers of brushed paint that have been applied to the outside.

Thanks,
Barron

Mine has green paint (under the ugly blue and over sprayed white the PO put on it), has a factory inspection sticker from 1967 and a serial number of 67-something - so either they changed the numbering system or I'd say it was made in 81.

I have the same saw. My compressor works, but if it did not I would use something like a shop vac instead. A compressor is really a waste, ie you need volume at low pressure not lots of puffs. You can run the shop vac either as a positive source or a vacuum depending on the material and type of cut.

New question about 1984 Model 87 bandsaw. The machine cuts metal great at low speed setting but will not stay in high speed position to cut wood. Do I have to take the transmission out to figure what's wrong?

The shift lever has a spring loaded pin to hold the lever in gear. Is the hole for the pin full of swarf or the pin frozen in the lever?

Is this pin on outside or inside the case. From outside there is a spring in the select lever, is that what you mean? The shift lever stays in place but the drive wheel on the blade stops turning.

Back