What's new
What's new

Is it practical to modify D1-x chuck backplate to fit DIN 55027 spindle nose?

Mikel Levy

Aluminum
I posted a similar query in the machine-specific forum (with no replies) but I guess it's actually a more general issue. I'm looking at a lathe (Weiler) with DIN 55027-5 spindle nose, and chuck backplates to fit are scarce and expensive here in the USA as far as I can determine, but it appears that the readily available camlock D1-5 backplate shares the same locating taper as the DIN version, but uses three (or sometimes six) camlock studs instead of the four shoulder studs and locating pin of the DIN mount. I don't mind spending the time drilling the extra holes required and machining up the shoulder studs for the modification, but I would like to know if this is actually going to work. Any thoughts or experience anyone could share would be most appreciated.

Mike

I posted a similar query in the machine-specific forum (with no replies) but I guess it's actually a more general issue. I'm looking at a lathe (Weiler) with DIN 55027-5 spindle nose, and chuck backplates to fit are scarce and expensive here in the USA as far as I can determine, but it appears that the readily available camlock D1-5 backplate shares the same locating taper as the DIN version, but uses three (or sometimes six) camlock studs instead of the four shoulder studs and locating pin of the DIN mount. I don't mind spending the time drilling the extra holes required and machining up the shoulder studs for the modification, but I would like to know if this is actually going to work. Any thoughts or experience anyone could share would be most appreciated.

Mike

You can safely "give up" the anchoring screws that limit camlock stud rotation to get space if you must. May not need to do even that.

Three-stud D1-3 & 4 goods, I'd spring for the proper DIN item, not bother.

Six stud has more reserve. Worth a go.

Any D1-5" "back plate" will already have a dozen tapped holes - six cam lock pins and six lock screws for those pins

Good luck with your Swiss cheese:D

DIN 55027-5 is D1-5 minus the Camlock studs and cams, at least as far as I can compare the specs

"Minus the Camlock.." is actually closer to the "A" short taper (same as D1, for taper and flat).

Mayhap the proper "A" backplate rather than "D1" would be the better starting-point?

Cheaper, last time I looked.

Just price-out a set of the six camlock studs it doesn't need!

:)

Back