What's new
What's new

Prawema lathes (German) anyone have any info?

Brett by Portland

Hot Rolled
I just bought the first lathe I have ever owned that seems to have virtually zero web-based information. Of Course i searched the Euro machine section here, and Tony's site as well as Google....nothing. I am out of town currently, but if memory serves it is an RDA 25 model.
It is a very interestingly made hand (and hip!) operated hand turret lathe with power feed or hip feed on the 6 station "carriage" turret plus it has 2 tailstock quills (nearly 6" stroke!) that pivot to alternate. Additionally, the turning tools rest on and follow a slide bar? that can be angled up to about 6 degrees for taper turning, then pivoted right back to straight turning all with the flip of a lever. The straight slide bar could easily be replaced with a form tool. It is very well made with massive spindle rigidity for it's size. Amazingly, it came with a factory manual and parts diagram, but parts sources and fellow Prawema owners would be most welcome.

Brett in Vancouver WA
[email protected]

Attachments

• prawema.jpg
    prawema.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 2,849
I once owned a lathe by Prawema (Berlin), but it was a centre lathe, about 10" swing if that. Nice little lathe, though, quite genteel.

I still have the motor, which was a huge but rather low powered 6 pole flange mount motor, neatly built into the base.

A Pratt and Whitney Model B 12x30 came along soon after so I onsold the Prawema before I ever got it into commission. The guy I sold it to re-engineered the headstock with taper roller brgs in lieu of the plain whitemetals it came with.

I like the hip-hugging contours of your new acquisition. What a great excuse to turn up the music and dance !

Google

Type in Praewema when doing a search. The picture of the lathe you posted uses an umlaut in spelling the brand name. Putting an "e" after the letter is the dodge for keyboards that have no umlaut key. Some call me Carlos

Just checking in to see if anyone knows of another of these, or any other info. I have never owned a machine of which so little is known......especially where to find tooling. It would be a dream come true to find extra turrets, as it was designed to have accommodate a different turret for each job should one desire, as the turret assembly is made to change quickly/easily.

Any leads helpful, thanks, Brett

Not a turret lathe but this Prawema just showed up on New Hampshire CL.
Not my lathe but pictures for a future searcher's interest. Asking $3600.

Attachments

• 00X0X_9cfqyZsj91J_1200x900.jpg
    00X0X_9cfqyZsj91J_1200x900.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 382
  • 00j0j_dzZHI1zZRre_1200x900.jpg
    00j0j_dzZHI1zZRre_1200x900.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 238
I think that lathe (or an identical one) is now sitting on the showroom floor at The Equipment Hub in Stone Mountain, GA waiting to be listed for sale. I went by there to look at a Logan they had for sale and he showed me this one too.

Back