What's new
What's new

Precision bearings - where to get them?

sigurasg

Aluminum
Hey y'all,

I'm replacing the spindle bearings in my Deckel clone single-lip cutter grinder. Per manufacturer info, the front one should be a 6003 2RS P4 (double sealed). I've been using a local over-the-counter bearing supplier called General Bearing Service here in Montreal, but they can't (or won't) supply that particular bearing.

Wild online searching is tiresome and fruitless so far, as most search results point to normal precision bearings of the type.
Am I missing this one crazy trick?

Siggi

Precision in a sealed stamped steel cage bearing is very rare and almost impossible to source. I found a guy who could get them from NSK directly from China but I really believe he just found someone who could stamp P4 on the bearing. Precision bearings usually have a machined brass cage or a phenolic one and are usually open and have a code to designate the cage type. I do know they are made at least with non contact seals but have never been able to find one I felt good about. Accurate Bearing might be a source to try. Dave

Call Barden, division of *********, every time I've had a (tech) question I got put right through to an engineer; would imagine they could just as easily get you a supplier.

eBay has some that are ABEC 5 and some that are P6. Is that good enough?

SHUSTER SS6003 2RS-P6 Ball Bearing Lot of 6 | eBay

I have an Alexander (England) clone of the Deckel, bought used and the bearings are OK, so I never took the spindle bearings out.

Runout on the spindle is of little importance beyond the need for low vibration. Endplay in the spindle should be zero. I would try inexpensive bearings and see how the spindle behaves before buying some expensive bearings.

Larry

Any SKF Explorer is an ABEC 3 or P6 if you want to try them first. Natchi Quest is similar. Those are small bearings so a CN or C2 clearance in a ABEC 3 or 5 might be just fine. You want to avoid C3 clearance. Generally on a spindle bearing you look for the highest precision at the tightest clearance that still allows for some room under the speed limit of the bearing. Precision is about concentricity between the inner and outer walls and clearance is the amount of extra room that the balls have between those walls. When the concentricity is lower, the clearance needs to be higher ( wider ) so the balls don't heat up in the narrow spots. It is more complicated than that but you get the idea. Dave

HB bearings/gammit in U.K. but they ship, I don’t know if they have them but we got lots of spindle bearings for spindle cartridges for the vmc mills in work,
Right up to bearings you could stand in, I thought the P was how many times they doubled the price myself, how about P6,
I think gammit is still 600 group, Harrison, clausing, Colchester etc but an email might help locate what you need though I’m told the technical department are working from home.
Mark

I've been using a local over-the-counter bearing supplier called General Bearing Service here in Montreal, but they can't (or won't) supply that particular bearing.

That is strange although a 2RS in higher precision class not so common a item. I think someone on your supply side did not want to do the homework and dirt digging,

eBay has some that are ABEC 5 and some that are P6. Is that good enough?
Probably good enough, but not to manufacturer spec. P4 is higher precision than P5, it corresponds to ABEC-7.

I have an Alexander (England) clone of the Deckel, bought used and the bearings are OK, so I never took the spindle bearings out.

Runout on the spindle is of little importance beyond the need for low vibration. Endplay in the spindle should be zero. I would try inexpensive bearings and see how the spindle behaves before buying some expensive bearings.

Yeah, there's a P5 bearing in there now, and I have a like-for-like replacement that I'll put in for now. I expect it'll be just fine, but I'd still like to be able to source the P4 bearing, even if just to see whether it makes a difference.

The preload on the two bearings is set by a pair of nuts on the end of the spindle and setting it to zero play shouldn't be any problem.

Back