What's new
What's new

Precision granite block

Frizzen

Aluminum
I have the option to get a granite block with a precision surface from a local manufacturing plant that is closing. The price is right but I’m not sure how much I would use it. I didn’t measure it but I would guess it at 2 x 2.5 ft probably 5 inches thick with a second loose surface (block) that forms a 90 degree angle to the large surface. It was just resurfaced and had not been used when the plant found out it was closing. I have a very small hobby shop, so what kind of operation would I use this thing for? I have a feeling this thing will be scrapped if I don’t take it and I hate seeing precision tooling just thrown away!

By definition it is a reference surface. Primarily used in measurement (think height gage) and flatness testing. Since you have the angle block it is also a reference for squareness.

A reference surface of the size and accuracy you state represents the foundation for probably all or most of the precision machining you will tackle in the future. Do not worry that you will not use it. With any normal regard for precision on your part, its usefulness will demonstrate itself. Bring it home and take good care of it.

-Marty-

Yeah, get it for cheap if you can bearing in mind you can get an Asian surface plate for about $175 plus shipping. The granite angle about the same..

Its uses will grow and stretch your skills. OTH it's the thin edge of the wedge: your lust for a bigger shop and your desire to upgrade your equipment will become an obsession. You have been warned.

Bring it home as the size is such that it could be placed anywhere.

Great for measuring and lapping.

Example...spray some water on it then place a sheet of fine wet dry sandpaper on it then lap in whatever.

No wear as sandpaper does work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

It was an accident, but one of my first inspection equipment purchases was a granite knee. Thought I was bidding on the surface plate and the knee, but they were separate and the surface plate had already been sold. Anyway, never regretted getting the knee and later bought an even bigger one. That was back when inspection equipment was expensive, so you grabbed it wherever it went cheap. It was easier to find a surface plate than the furniture for it, by a long shot. You should get both. But if you don't have space, take the knee and save it in case you later realize the need for a surface plate.

smt

I wish I could find deals like this. I've seen a couple of granite surface plates on our local Craigslist, but they were all 4'x8' or larger. No room for that. (I didn't think to ask my wife about a new dining room table...)

Well...Don’t need it for pies already have granite in the kitchen! But that it is funny.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I didn’t mention it does come with a table that fits it and another surface that’s a little longer than the main surface, it tapers to the center from around 3 inches to 5-6 inches. The other thing it has holes with threaded inserts set below the surface. Not sure how that effects things.

Also, my wife worked at this plant for 40 years and was one of the last 40 or so working, there are still a few closing it down. I think they are just being nice to us, although we have bought some stuff, they are giving this to us.

I wish I could find deals like this. I've seen a couple of granite surface plates on our local Craigslist, but they were all 4'x8' or larger. No room for that. (I didn't think to ask my wife about a new dining room table...)

I saw here recently a picture of one for sale being used at the factory as an outside picnic table. Reminded me of the big redwood tables made from a log. no knee room.
Bill D.

The holes are an added benefit - they're used to clamp things down on the table. (Please don't overtighten, they are just to secure). You are a lucky dog.

Well...Don’t need it for pies already have granite in the kitchen! But that it is funny.

Yeah but thats why your misses pie crusts vari so much in thickness. Far simpler and easier to get that perfectly even parallel roll out on a pre-scion granite reference.

Thanks to everyone, even the pie makers!! I just let them know I would take it.

That was serious good advce given above. Most pastry chefs and candy makers would kill for an asset like a big hunk of flat granite. It acts as big heat sink keeping low melting point fats cool and semi-solid. Pie crust, croissants, fudge, taffy, tortillas, you name it, if it involves flour and fat or sugar and fat and careful working, a large cool surface contributes to the desired fine flaky texture, smooth mouth feet, etc. If your SO, mom, ma-in-law, sister, etc has ambitions as a fine cook, the gift (with suitable build-up and flourishes) of a thick granite pastry slab (ie: granite surface plate) will absolve you of any number of Aw Shits in your past..

You probably won't be allowed to share use of it. Pie dough making and Prussian blue on the same surface conflict somehow for reasons I don't quite understand.

I have the option to get a granite block with a precision surface from a local manufacturing plant that is closing. The price is right but I’m not sure how much I would use it. I didn’t measure it but I would guess it at 2 x 2.5 ft probably 5 inches thick with a second loose surface (block) that forms a 90 degree angle to the large surface. It was just resurfaced and had not been used when the plant found out it was closing. I have a very small hobby shop, so what kind of operation would I use this thing for? I have a feeling this thing will be scrapped if I don’t take it and I hate seeing precision tooling just thrown away!

Get it. If it's a really good one, lab grade or so, then do what I did with mine : place it on a strong table on it's Airy points, cover it well with a thick plank of wood on top and some fabric in between and use it as a workbench. Me, I could not afford another one and don't want to damage it.

Chocolate needs a block to temper it properly I discovered (starret rep!) they use surface plates!, precision chocolate, apparently there are five different crystal structures or phases similar to metals.
Mark

Back