What's new
What's new

precision level (Favor)

dsergison

Diamond
I bought a Wyler master precision level on Ebay, but I fear it may be lost in the mail (From Canada).

(It last showed up in Canada tracking as being dropped off and sorted on 10/4. I cant do anything about claiming it for 2 more weeks.) Likely another couple weeks to get another one...

I am wondering if anyone near central Illinois has one that I might use for about a week to level my lathe while I am scraping the carrige in.

Thanks, Dan

You've got yourself a good level there Dan if it ever turns up. I've been using a Wyler ( 0.0005" per 10" ) for the last 30 years, any time you're in the U.K. feel free to pop in and borrow it. Regards Tyrone.

i got one 2
maybe a tose up for who is closer(i'm in the QC's)
shoot me a pm as my home e-mail has been abandend for lack of use

Thanks guys, I bought a $150 SPI

699.gif

from MSC, Which will be on my doorstep tonight.

I may ebay or post it for sale here if/when my Wyler fianlly shows.

dsergison --

I think you'll be very happy with your new SPI level, which is an EDA brand that's made in France by Ducourret. A similar EDA with the 0.05 millimeter per meter vial in a 20 centimeter body has been my favorite "master precision level" for quite a few years now. Mine is accurate, easy to adjust, holds its adjustment, and light enough that it didn't stretch my arm when I had to carry it halfway around the world in my briefcase. A marvelous instrument for the price.

You might find Ducourret's website interesting: www.ducourret.com

John

Please tell me, what uses does a level serve?
I have seen levels used for some situations that were very inapropreate, but it seems I may not get it.
Thanks,
Keith Leenheer

in my case I need to set my lathe up without twist to fit my carrige to it by scraping.

with a .0005" per 10" level you can turn the adjustment feet under the lathe and watch in amazement at how one end of the bed can be lever and the other end be twisted so much.

you can set this level on your kitchen table, shim it with paper to get it about centered and watch it move when somene walks by. (assuming joist floors)

I'm glad you managed to get yourself a level Dan, I'd be lost without mine. Yours looks nice and light, my Wyler if fine but it's really heavy and not for travelling with. I think 0.0005" per 10" is about right for machine tools, I did have a Rank Taylor Hobson box level 0.0001" per 10" but you had to wait ages for the bubble to settle. The best one I ever used was a Wyler electronic, instant readings and you could switch from 0.001" to 0.0001 per 10" with the flick of a switch, you could also self centre the needle- I,ve impressed plenty of customers with the level self centred.
Regards Tyrone.

I did have a Rank Taylor Hobson box level 0.0001" per 10" but you had to wait ages for the bubble to settle.
You Brits get a lot of the Taylor Hobson Talyvel electronic levels on the UK Ebay site. Someday, maybe...

By the way, love your handle Tyrone!

Lazlo, if you can afford an electronic level get one , they're really great especially if you're leveling long work. On a 30 or 40ft engine lathe I'd be down the tailstock end when a guy with a spirit level would be less than half way from the chuck. Rank Taylor Hobson made good electronic levels ( I think they won the Queens Award For Industry for their levels).
Anybody out there ever use a water level ? I used one for leveling inspection tables in series, you know three tables all in line and all at exactly the same height ,so you could put one big job on all three, easy with a good water level.Regards Tyrone.

Oh, the handle- you must have heard of 'Cheech and Chong', "Tyrone Shoelaces" was in one of their numbers, " Basketball Jones " I think.I use it as my nom de plume all the time, another American import coming home. Regards Tyrone.

One of my many weaknesses is I collect precision levels. You got to be careful these days. Many levels represented on Ebay have very impressive names. In actuallity they mearly have a decal on a foreign knockoff and the same level body will appear and have many names. (Know what you are bidding on). My two favorites are Pratt and Whittney spirit levels and Federal electronics. There are, I am sure better units out there but these are what I spent more than half my life staring at. Also I would like to throw in a thought. If you level a lathe and it does not cut straight you may try raising one or the other tailstock legs. If it gets worse, lower the one you raised and raise the other. You can cut straight parts on a worn lathe by purposely twisting the bed. John

Back