What's new
What's new

Prescription Safety glasses online

toolsteel

Titanium
My employer has always paid for a portion of my safety glasses. I have a STRONG prescription (blind as a bat). My employer has decided to have us order prescription glasses via the internet. I was skeptical but gave it a good go. Got new prescription. Filled out necessary online info...measured P.D. for bifocals....picked frames....2 weeks later glasses arrived.....I couldnt read the package they came in. VERY disappointed. Sent them back for a refund and I am prepared to give up on the whole "buy glasses online" without seeing a professional. I suspect the worse a persons vision is the more pronounced an error might be????
Curious if others have a success story....maybe some advice for ordering online?
Or vent their frustration with similar services.:skep:

My employer has always paid for a portion of my safety glasses. I have a STRONG prescription (blind as a bat). My employer has decided to have us order prescription glasses via the internet. I was skeptical but gave it a good go. Got new prescription. Filled out necessary online info...measured P.D. for bifocals....picked frames....2 weeks later glasses arrived.....I couldnt read the package they came in. VERY disappointed. Sent them back for a refund and I am prepared to give up on the whole "buy glasses online" without seeing a professional. I suspect the worse a persons vision is the more pronounced an error might be????
Curious if others have a success story....maybe some advice for ordering online?
Or vent their frustration with similar services.:skep:

I ordered some glasses online and everything was great, but I used the PD from my optometrist rather than self-measured (and not bifocal). My prescription is pretty weak though, as in I am OK to live my life without them but I like to have them on hand for driving, sporting events, etc.

I have worn only prescription safety glasses since 1954. After I retired and no longer got company-supplied glasses, my eye doctor would get safety glasses for me from a local wholesale lens shop. But some years ago he told me he would no longer sell safety glasses. So I took his prescription and found an online seller. I have been buying glasses from them for years now and am pleased with their product and service. The company is Phillips Safety Products also called RX-Safety, located in NJ. I wear their stainless steel aviator style frames, cat. no. RX-100. These frames will last for years and they will sell just lenses if you send an old RX-100 frame to them, though a new frame is only $30. The new frames come with side shields, held with a small screw and easily removed.

Prescription Safety Glasses RX-100 - Rx Safety

Larry

I've been getting more and more tempted to go the online route. The massive mark up optometrists put on lenses and their coatings they are always pushing, as well as the time it takes to get them keep pushing me to this decision. I just got new glasses last December, my first new glasses in a little over 4 years. 3 pairs, my home pair, sunglasses, and my safeties. With the exam it cost me around $1000. I didn't even get my safeties in until this month, a full month after I had my exam.

I used to justify the price because I used to be able to get mine made at a local place that did all of their own lenses. I could go in and get a new pair in an hour or so. Then, as is the American way, they got bought out, laid off all their lens techs, and now just sub out all their lens making to the same place everyone else uses.

I still haven't gone the online route because of the reasons already stated and I didn't like the thought of having to wait so long to get my glasses, but this last experience removes that reason. Plus I'm picky about what I get, I have to wear them all the time so I'm going to get exactly what I want dammit. However it's getting harder and harder to reason why my brother pays $12 a pair for his glasses from a place that gets them straight from the source vs paying the middle man an extra $700 to screw me for a modicum of low training support.

I have only been using online sources for years and I usually have good results. I have a very strong prescription and I wear bifocals. I don't understand how a machinist cannot measure their pd - you think an optometrist is going to be closer? If you are not sure ask the guy next to you. I have been using only online for at least 10 years. I use the same one already noted for safety glasses and I also use 39 dollar glasses (just be advised - it usually comes out closer to $250 when all is said and done).

My glasses aren't officially "safety glasses", but they have high-index polycarbonate lenses and Nitinol frames. They've saved my eyes more times that I can count, and not just in the shop.

I'll second having an actual optometrist measure your PD instead of doing it yourself.

Quick question.....
I did not have the P.D. measured at my eye appointment. The place I go doesnt make glasses....they just tell me how blind I am...lol....they dont actually do anything about it.
Kind of hesitant to walk in and ask someone to measure my P.D. and not buy anything. Wondering if anyone has done this????

Side note for parents out there....My parents (back in the early 70's) relied on the yearly eye checks that the schools did. The wonderful system never caught my eye issue. I was a good reader(all the books up to the 2nd grade had large print) Dad just thought I sucked at catching a baseball...lol. My issue came to light when my 2nd grade teacher was teaching us how to read a dictionary. (much smaller print) and I physically couldnt do it. I also had trouble telling time because i couldnt see the hands on the clock on the wall. When my Mom took me in to the optical dept. at Sears the guy said....sorry.....my equipment doesnt go that high. lol

My glasses aren't officially "safety glasses", but they have high-index polycarbonate lenses and Nitinol frames. They've saved my eyes more times that I can count, and not just in the shop.

Thats my secondary issue.....the supplier my employer chose only makes polycarbonate safety lenses. If I am not in high index there is a fire hazzard when i am in the sun....My current glasses are high index.....1.67 I believe....

Quick question.....
I did not have the P.D. measured at my eye appointment. The place I go doesnt make glasses....they just tell me how blind I am...lol....they dont actually do anything about it.
Kind of hesitant to walk in and ask someone to measure my P.D. and not buy anything. Wondering if anyone has done this????

My optometrist has a nice young lady sitting at a desk in the waiting room with a bunch of frame options. I always get the same Maui Jim sunnies, and she has never had a problem annotating my prescription with PD even knowing that I'm not going to buy anything from her. But then again, that might be the an agreement she has with the doc to allow her to set up shop in his lobby :D

Decided since I know the average place cant make my glasses and I feel kinda bad about going to some random place to get measured without buying anything...
Walmart.....I hate those bastards anyways.
Go in...ask for P.D. measurement....browse glasses...if neccesary I will even let them go through the process of telling me the cant make them.....:scratchchin:

I use Zenni for online glasses. Cheap and pretty good. I do not think they do safety glasses. Have to have PD listed on the prescription from the optometrist. I do not think it changes in an adult.

Pupil distance is weird. At least at Zenni. They do not give pd you have to calculate it. It is bridge distance(nose width) plus lens width.
Not sure if it is actually lens width or two times the distance. People with a wider nose have a wider bridge to fit even if pupil distance is the same.
For me temple width is the limiting factor. I have a wide head. Also some ear pieces are too short.
Bill D

How to Measure Your Eyeglass Frames Size Infographic| Zenni Optical

I use Zenni for online glasses. Cheap and pretty good. I do not thin kthey do safety glasses. Have to PD listed on the prescription from the optometrist.

Pupil distance is weird.At least at Zenni. They do not give pd you have to calculate it. It is bridge distance(nose width) plus lens width.
Not sure if it is actually lens width or two times the distance. People with a wider nose have a wider bridge to fit even if pupil distance is the same.
For me temple width is the limiting factor. I have a wide head. Also some ear pieces are too short.
Bil lD

How to Measure Your Eyeglass Frames Size Infographic| Zenni Optical

Yeah, I ordered from Zenni and they have some limits on PD for their frames. I have a pretty narrow PD, and it's asymmetrical by about 3-4 mm, but the frames I wanted didn't go low enough for me to get the proper asym distance on the lens without a special order. So I got the lowest they had on offer point-point and then tweaked the nose pads a bit. Still took a little getting used to wearing them, but it was better than ordering "youth sizes" which would have barely fit my head :wrong:

Quick question.....

Side note for parents out there....My parents (back in the early 70's) relied on the yearly eye checks that the schools did. The wonderful system never caught my eye issue. I was a good reader(all the books up to the 2nd grade had large print) Dad just thought I sucked at catching a baseball...lol. My issue came to light when my 2nd grade teacher was teaching us how to read a dictionary. (much smaller print) and I physically couldnt do it. I also had trouble telling time because i couldnt see the hands on the clock on the wall. When my Mom took me in to the optical dept. at Sears the guy said....sorry.....my equipment doesnt go that high. lol

I didn't get a PD measurement because I get my exams for contacts usually, but I decided I wanted backup glasses for when I didn't feel like wearing contacts. I called my optometrist and they told me to come by whenever and they'd measure my PD for me between appointments.

Edit, since I just read your other post: My optometrist IS Wal Mart, so you shouldn't have an issue, assuming your local guy is cool.

You don't need to go to the Police Department. Walmart has it all at very reasonable prices. Unless someone calls the cops on you, not as likely to get shot either.

:cool:

Before I had cataract surgery I had a hell of time getting glasses. Without glasses I saw clearly all the way to the tip of my nose! Got new glasses after my old optician retired and they drove me nuts. Finally the oldest optometrist I have ever seen figured it out. My old glasses had some of the prescription ground into the front surface or the glass would have been 3/4” thick! Had to have new glasses made the same way.

See post #3. I was wearing trifocals with about -7 distant correction when I retired and had to begin paying for my safety glasses. Then I had cataract surgery, so no more need for distant correction. I switched to progressives after the cataract surgery, still with Phillips Safety and the same frames.

Larry

Back