What's new
What's new

Pretty scrap

ballen

Diamond
I am starting a thread where you can post a photo of your beautiful scrap. This means, you spent some time making a nice part, but had to toss it in the trash because a critical dimension was wrong. So next time that this happens, take a photo and post it here. Maybe we can learn from your mistake.

This is my latest:

attachment.php

I needed some keys that were 14.000mm wide on one side and 12.000mm wide on the other, parallel and centered to within a few microns. So I rough milled a piece of tool steel 150mm (6" long) about 0.2mm oversize, used a slitting saw to make a clearance groove, then ground the four important surfaces. The plan was to then drill and countersink the mounting holes, slice into four keys, harden and temper, and then do the final grinding. Problem is, I ground off 0.2mm too much :angry:. The part is exactly 13.832 / 11.832 wide. In the trash bin it goes.

Lesson learned: even though the part is oversize, watch the $%^& dimensions while grinding!

I scrap somewhat more frequently than i would like but our shop is purely a one-off prototyping type place. Batches of 10 are big. I actually have an order of 130 custom rollers to make which is huge for us.

THese 2 were kinda expensive fuckups on my part but it was only stock that was lost, oh well! One is the main hull for a robotic submarine that has been shrunk down 60%..the original was about 100lbs of raw aluminum that becomes 4 pounds. The other is a custom whiskey ice-press with 6 total components to make it look like a space ship.dasfs (2).jpg

Almost all of these are "prototypes", yea um, that's what they are called. Some of these are actually the more desirable lightened versions, of if you prefer the racing variant.

attachment.php

How 'bout this one for you guys, a UHMW paint canister piston. Absolutely nothing wrong with any of it, I was just installing energizers and thought to myself,

"Pete, these energizers are a pain in the ass to install."
"Right you are, Pete. Let's go get some assembly lube."
"Here's some silicone grease, that's compatible with every material!"
"Damn, still a pain in the ass to install."
*recalculating*
*recalculating*
*recalculating*
Dammit this goes in a paint canister.

Attachments

• piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 371