What's new
What's new

Index Model 40 Mill Y axis turning too tight

Pumpkin rancher

Plastic
I have a Index Model 40 that is getting tight when I run the the table in an out, running the table left to right is no problem. I bought this mill last year and when I looked at it and tried the table function in an out left an right worked fine.The table had to be removed to get the mill out the door and to its new home, The table was reinstalled and seamed to work fine ,but now it is getting a little tight. What did I do wrong. I want to put this mill to bed for the winter but I would like to get this fixed before I get it ready for a long winter nap. Thanks ...Dave.

I had to look at photos to know what we were talking about, and it looks like a candidate for the antiques section below.
It does look like conventional ways with sliding taper gibs, have you loosened the transverse gib and tried that?

My Index mill is a 747. It has metal plates that slide to keep chips out in the Y-axis, but chips still get in. This makes if hard to move fore & aft. I periodically have to manually move the plates and clean out around them to restore normal movement.

Back