What's new
What's new

Problem with MSC S-7 tool steel

Bob E

Hot Rolled
Just had a job that should have been made from S-7 tool steel.
I bought a length of 1/2" dia. rod from MSC. All they offered was Ukraine sourced. This was not drill rod.

Hardened at 1725F, air cooled....45 Rc.
Tried some more samples at different temps and quench methods to no avail.

I've been doing this for 30 years, never had this problem.

Made the parts from O-1 and offered the customer free replacement if they fail.

Has anyone had problems with S-7 steel from MSC?

Can't help you on MSC. I haven't bought any steel from them in quite some time. Lately I have been using Tool Steel Service (make it one word and add dot com to it for their internet address. I have been using them for smaller quantities and have been happy with what they supply. You could call or email them and check where the material is coming from. The product I have purchased from them is always cheaper than MSC by a fair amount and most everything that is standard stock ships Free for orders $100 or more.

Just thought I would provide you with another source to check with the next time you needed something along their lines..

Thanks, I used MSC only because it's 20 mins. from my shop.
I normally use a tool steel supplier. Probably should've just turned downed the 2" round stock in the rack.

Last die set I made from S-7, about 6 months ago gave the HT co a bit of trouble. They used a double-quench of some sort and took a couple of tries to get it where I wanted it. There is an inert-atmosphere oven at work, but we send D-2 and S-7 out. Our S-7 didn't come from MSC though.

No idea in your specific case, but MSC has been on a long march since the next generation took over to become a stock play rather than a service to their customers. Wouldn't surprise me if their Ukrainian source was bottom dollar, bottom QC, best margin for them, worst results for you.

A while back I bought 1/2" diameter rods in about a dozen tool steel grades from McMaster. Needed a few and wanted the others to make up a set of spark test "standards." They all came clearly marked and, as rough a guide a spark test is, seemed to be the right material.

Back