What's new
What's new

Problems with website???

trevj

Titanium
I'm using Netscape 7.1, and have downloaded the latest version of the shockwave plugin, but Netscape still craps and chokes on the shockwave stuff on this site.

Illegal operation in the plugin, so it says.

Any ideas?

It is not consistant, so I suspect it's something to do with one or more of the banner ads that pop up at the top of the page.

???

Cheers
Trevor Jones

i am having problems also, not the same as you described, but when i clik on the pm addy from my favorites list it brings it up this site ok,then i clik on this forum and it brings up a very old page. i know this b/c of the topic that is at the top. i can hit the refresh button and it will refresh,(and go to the latest screen) then when i clik on a topic it will go into that. after i am done reading and clik on the back button from my browser,sometimes,but not always, it goes back to that same old page. this can be frustrating when there are several topics you want to read. :mad: any ideas?

I am using Mozilla Firefox as a browser, and for some time now, I also have been getting the:
"Illegal Operation Error.... Shut down... Shut down..."
It just happened again. This is really schitty. No other web site ever gives me this error and shuts down. UUggghhh!

--Doozer

I keep reading about advertising at the top of the page and I have as yet to see the first advertisement since I joined a while back.Not the first AD not even from the beginning.Now I admit this computer is fairly new and we have Huges.Net as a provider but nothing exotic beyond that and I had very few problems back when the site was so screwed up.What gives?Is it the computer,the provider,or just plain luck?Might be that I can participate a little more since the four fingers I lost were reattached and seem to be getting better and better.Starting to get that itchy feeling in them now so my doctor says all is good.Typing with one hand and the other hurting like hell isn't much fun.

I'm having the exact same problem as Doozer with Mozilla but it's intermittent. Sometimes, it happens when I first hit the site and other times, it's in the middle of a forum. This is the only site that is giving me this trouble.

I'm not enthused about "upgrading" to the next higher level of Netscape, as the "features" are largely ****e that I don't need or want.

The errors have always been in relation to the shockwave executable, and from the sounds of it, it's more likely the stuff here on the site than in my end, especially in that it's happening to other browsers as well.

Frustrating! At least it is not ALL the time.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

I am glad someone else brought up this topic. The problem I started having last week was the site hanging up when I enter it -- I can't scroll or anything. The only thing I can do is to get out of the site and try again. Sometimes takes two or three times. By then, I loose the "New Posts" information. I look at seven websites religiously several times a day, plus the usual surfing, and this is the only website that I have a problem.

I have the latest version of IE and this website locks it up intermittently and shuts it down. I downloaded shockwave again and it still screws up and calls out illegal action and shuts ie down. Does this on computer at home and at work.

I was having alot of problems with Shockwave Flash add-on, this posting explains how I disabled it, no trouble since.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/24458/2.html

This is what I wrote, but the following posts also say you can update the add-on, but in my case the computer doesn't allow it, so I disabled it.

have been finding that I can view this forum OK for a short while, then other times it will shut down on me 4-5 times in a row. Very annoying. I finally took note that it was a problem encountered with an add-on, namely Shockwave, Macromedia, Flash.ocx.

On Internet Explorer I went to Tools>Internet Options>Programmes>Manage Add-ons, then highlighted the "Shockwave - Flash.ocx", then clicked the disable button.

No problems so far, nothing seems to be missing from the Forum or advertising, although very occasionaly the largest banner ad is just a red X.

The problem occurs when the Haas banner is playing, and maybe another. It will hang, or lock up, and has dumped me off line on several occasions. Maybe it can be fixed by adding other programs to my computer or not, but the problem occurs with the site, not my computer and I do not wish to play around with the "fix of the day".

I will give it a couple of tries, and move on. As my success ratio goes down, the frequency of my tries will decrease.

I find it quite annoying that the problem is known and not being dealt with.

I don't have any problems with the site or ads since the site crashed a few weeks ago, but I've always had the problem of it losing the new posts feature. Sometimes refreshing will work, and other times it will show them all read or all un-read. This is using IE7 Beta.

OT- Freeman, I really hope all goes well with your fingers.

Can't understand why all of you are having trouble with the site, or the ads. I am using plain ole IE6.0.2900.2180 plus SP2 and however many patches MS wants me to load. Have had no trouble since Don created the temporary general forum. I can click on any of the ads and they all load fine and cause me no trouble whatsoever.

Lots of people want to bash MS and IE, but it works just fine for me and has for a long time.

Ok Bill, send me my commission. :D

I haven't had any crashing or lockup problems with IE6, IE7 or any version of Firefox on three different computers, with ads on or off. If you have any extra toolbars installed such as Yahoo or Google you might want to disable them.

i went thru and turned off(disabled) shockwave as peter s. suggested how to and it seems so far to have cleared up my issue as well. it seems ron dawson is having close if not the same issue i was having with new topic posts. ;)

You know i am going to regret saying this... but. I have never had any problems with Practical Machinist Forum or any other forum that I am on.

I run Windows XP with the latest Firefox and Plugins.

I like to keep my computer as clean as possible. I only load the programs that I really need. I almost never use Internet Explorer anymore. Internet Explorer is not even loaded on my computer.

-Matthew

Back