What's new
What's new

Procunier 1E or Tapmatic 30X for deep hole 0-80 tapping in aluminum with drill press

davefr

Plastic
I'm toying with the idea of power tapping 0-80 holes in aluminum with a drill press. The thru holes will be about 3/8" deep and pre-drilled to 1.25mm.

Both the Procunier 1E and Tapmatic 30X go down to #0.

My questions is which of these two tapping heads would be more forgiving to 0-80 taps using a hand feed drill press. (Tapmatic due to the adjustable clutch??)

I'm not worried about breaking a few taps while I refine the process. Or am I crazy even considering a tapping head for this
small diameter application?

Thanks!

A taping head could work.
Using a drill press with a tapping heard on small stuff seems a little shaky.

I would suggest a Hamilton taping machine. A 4X40 in a blind hole is easy with this machine. I would imagine there are other machines that could or would even do better.

I'm toying with the idea of power tapping 0-80 holes in aluminum with a drill press. The thru holes will be about 3/8" deep and pre-drilled to 1.25mm.

Both the Procunier 1E and Tapmatic 30X go down to #0.

My questions is which of these two tapping heads would be more forgiving to 0-80 taps using a hand feed drill press. (Tapmatic due to the adjustable clutch??)

I'm not worried about breaking a few taps while I refine the process. Or am I crazy even considering a tapping head for this
small diameter application?

Thanks!

I have done 0-80 with my tapmatic, no problem. I have tapped thousands upon thousands of holes with my Tapmatic 30x. I don't think I have broken 5 taps with it.

Back