What's new
What's new

Project suggestions? Anyone?

rbrandes

Aluminum
Having ended my business to pursue restoring an old car, I need something to keep me from getting bored while waiting for car parts and so on.
I have kept my shop and have a Hyundai HiT15 lathe, a Haas VF-2, surface grinder, bead blaster, Jet lathe, Lagun turret mill and various other machine shop gadgets.
I have made firearms, stationary steam engines.
1947 Woodson Reversing Steam Engine
I am looking for something new that will stimulate my interests.
All suggestions are welcome.
Regards, Ray in FLA

You did not say what kind of car or the nature of the restoration work.

I envision sheetmetal rust repair. In which case you will need a MIG welder and plasma cutter. Shear, notcher and finger brake nice too. Then perhaps shrinker and various hand tools for forming. Not projects in themselves but:

How about using your shop to repair used sheetmetal equipment ultimately in support of your car restoration?

Stroker,
It is a 1962 BMW 700. I got TIG and MIG, other stuff will come as needed. You will see from the photo I have a lot to learn.
left quarter.jpg
I have rebuilt the engine, suspension and other mechanical tings. I am waiting for the shell to come back from being dipped.
700 shell.jpg
I will try to mend the small problems first. I have been practising on some junk with welding, shrinking etc. Hopefully I will get better at shaping tin.
Regards, Ray

Make or refurbish an English wheel, frame + wheel alignment tools, spray booth + blasting room, electrolytic de-rusting tank, pool.
Bill D

Back