What's new
What's new

proper use of Trav-a-dial ;-) Caution! Humor

CalG

Diamond
I
issue-7-single-pt-threading-1.png

Creative ! I would have never thought to use one for the reference surface for a DTI.

Learning something new every day!

First time I've ever seen a TD mounted on the 'chips' side of the apron. Just when I think I've seen everything I just have to come to PM. :) Thanks for posting this Cal. I had a good laugh.

Best Regards,
Bob

Actually I set one up on that side sometimes. If it's a job where I'm doing repetitive parts and have to back the carriage up further than the indicator travel that's where it goes.

First time I've ever seen a TD mounted on the 'chips' side of the apron. Just when I think I've seen everything I just have to come to PM. :) Thanks for posting this Cal. I had a good laugh.

Best Regards,
Bob

That's on a South Bend, no room on the other side as the thread dial is in the way.

They make brackets for that! ;-)

What got me most in observation was how long it took me to recognize that there was even a Trav-a-Dial in the picture. It must have quit being useful some time previous. ;-)

I like them, myself.

They suck when they are not set up or maintained properly. They need to be calibrated at install to read correctly. I've worked with a lot of guys who say they are not accurate, but they have never researched how to calibrate them. When set up right and with a little bit of maintenance, they are superbly accurate. DRO/Trav a dail is a personal preference. Personally, I prefer the analog dial, to me, it makes it easier to ease up to a number when your looking at a dial, at least for on a lathe. Some guys use them on millers, I prefer a DRO in that situation. I think the one in the OP's pic. may need some calibration and maintenance, just a guess!

When turning to a shoulder its hard to beat the readability of watching the needle come around to zero. DRO's excel at being able to position for specific dimensions. I wish someone would put a countdown dial on a dro so I could have the best of both worlds. When it comes to maintenance (or lack thereof), DRO's are much more robust.

No, they suck. A DRO is the only way to go.

Really ?? I can knock off my carriage feed within a few thousands of my shoulder by watching the hand sweep every time, do that with a DRO those numbers change really really fast, It's great tool and they have sold thousands of them. Of course for accuracy in the X axis you can't beat a DRO. I have set up my Hardinge TR lathes with both a Trava Dial and a DRO I even found a company that was making a turret stop that fit them and added that as well.

Ron

digital is analog deficient ;-)

Humans are analog by nature.

Seems there must be a more natural relationship somewhere. But that is a different (less humourous?) topic. ;-)

Now if I just would put a piece of black tape over that da##M flashing .0005 display............

We be machinists...solve this sort of minor problem every day do we not.....

DSC00741_zps1f626689.jpg

DSC00740_zps70b2cd13.jpg

Cheers Ross

Ross

That is a very nice layout. 'mind if I palgerize? My Mazak 16 apron is very much like what you have shown. I like that placement for the T-a-D way better than the bracket that put's it outboard of the thread dial.

Thanks for posting!

Really ?? I can knock off my carriage feed within a few thousands of my shoulder by watching the hand sweep every time, do that with a DRO those numbers change really really fast, It's great tool and they have sold thousands of them. Of course for accuracy in the X axis you can't beat a DRO. I have set up my Hardinge TR lathes with both a Trava Dial and a DRO I even found a company that was making a turret stop that fit them and added that as well.

Ron

Hey, what ever blows your dress up.

When turning to a shoulder its hard to beat the readability of watching the needle come around to zero. DRO's excel at being able to position for specific dimensions. I wish someone would put a countdown dial on a dro so I could have the best of both worlds. When it comes to maintenance (or lack thereof), DRO's are much more robust.

When turning to a shoulder set your micrometer carriage stop, lots faster and more accurate than watching the needle come around to zero. I set my DRO to count down to zero nearly every day, Its not magic, you can do it with every DRO I have ever used. It's not really a "dial" but it works for me.

Back