What's new
What's new

Pros/Cons of DNA collets versus ER collets?

burdickjp

Aluminum
Right now the greater majority of my mill tooling goes in ER collet chucks. I use ER32 and ER16. I do not own any other sizes. My preferred brand of collet is Techniks. I recently stumbled on DNA collets and collet nuts for ER collet chucks: Techniks CNC Machine Tooling | ER DNA Collets

I'm unfamiliar with these, but it appears several manufacturers make them.
I'm considering them for my finishing operations.

Does anybody here have any experience with DNA collets?

Never heard of them, but they look pretty good. My question would be regarding how to REMOVE the collet from the holder. Perhaps someone familiar with these can answer both our concerns.

That looks like they stole a page from the American style "TG" collets, which are much stouter than er or da collets. You must insert the collet into the nosepiece before inserting the tool shank into the collet. The drawback is a larger collet nut, which can limit clearance or coolant access.

That looks like they stole a page from the American style "TG" collets, which are much stouter than er or da collets. You must insert the collet into the nosepiece before inserting the tool shank into the collet. The drawback is a larger collet nut, which can limit clearance or coolant access.

Kinda, sorta.. looks like an ER-length and ER exernal taper with a crossbreed of TG and SK features?

And it fits existing ER "master" bodies with only a nut change?

Well.. ER was born out of Rego-Fix as an improved "E", yah?

Techniks is upping their game, then?

Seems worth a tryout given TG or SK are bother better grippers than ER and ER ain't all that bad to begin with.

I think it's more just lipstick on a pig. I like the idea and have known of it for a while but I think the best money invested would be making the switch to SK type collets and holders. The taper is 4 degrees vs 8 with a longer contact area, simply a superior design.

The way you would remove the collet from the holder would be the same as standard ER, by tapping on the nut, tool, and holder with a piece of aluminum after loosening the nut. Using the nut to remove the collet is a great way of tearing the nut and collet up. Like much of the ER design the retaining ring is stupid.

Back