What's new
What's new

Pull to blow air, Push to suck air device

cosanitty

Plastic
I'm currently looking for a kind of tool that has this function: Pull to blow air, push to suck air.

Preferably tube like. I was looking into reverse syringes that has the opposite quality of a standard syringe in which nurses could draw out blood with one hand while pushing. However I'd assume it would not blow air when pushed.

Any suggestions or ideas of a tool that has the function mentioned above?

Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum..your project sounds interesting, but before the folks here can make reasonable suggestions, a lot more information is needed.

Stuart

I'm currently looking for a kind of tool that has this function: Pull to blow air, push to suck air.

Preferably tube like. I was looking into reverse syringes that has the opposite quality of a standard syringe in which nurses could draw out blood with one hand while pushing. However I'd assume it would not blow air when pushed.

Any suggestions or ideas of a tool that has the function mentioned above?

Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks.

How much pressure/vacuum are you looking to pull/push and for what purpose?
I have a vacuum pump that works off of compressed air across a venturi.
If I played around with valves, I could probably get it to blow and suck thru a single outlet.
If you're hoping to suck up liquids or material tho', things get more complicated.

A syringe is just a piston in a tube. Pull to draw air, or another fluid, like blood, or medicine in, then push to expell the contents. They are available in many sizes.

Just re read your post, a syringe is opposite of what you need. Sorry, im easily confused.

A small air cylinder may work. The rod end expells air when extending, draws in when colapsing. Sorry cant spell either.

You just need a double acting air cylinder, use the rod as your plunger and hook your whattzit up only to the end nearer the rod. Then when you collapse the rod (push) it will suck air into the cylinder, and when you extend the rod (pull) it will blow air out of the cylinder.

Thanks everyone for the ideas! Appreciate it.

I am actually working on an inflatable umbrella idea. Imagine the original umbrella without the internal ribs, and replaced with air (with enough air pressure to hold up). I'm looking for a solution to inflate the umbrella when pulling, and deflate immediately when pushing. I have attached an image here to illustrate this.

I'm looking for a solution that is light, small, but effective.

I'll definitely look into air cylinders and see if its applicable.

Any more ideas to possibly make this work?

inflatable_diagram.jpg

I am actually working on an inflatable umbrella idea. Imagine the original umbrella without the internal ribs, and replaced with air (with enough air pressure to hold up). I'm looking for a solution to inflate the umbrella when pulling, and deflate immediately when pushing. I have attached an image here to illustrate this.

View attachment 272180

Sounds more like "We" are working on the idea.

Are you going to list us all on the patent ?

Simple solution but AFAIK not commercially available. Add a mechanical linkage to reverse the action along with a tube to reverse the air flow.

FWIW, Harbor Freight sells a fuel extractor pump that can easily be reversed by swapping the functions of the side mounted inlet and outlet tubes. I bought one and I can attest to what happens if you get them mixed up due to being in too much of a hurry. Fortunately my experience was with clean water.

Multi-Use Transfer Pump

I suspect the only practical way to make your idea work is to have air passages running parallel to the pump body.

Hint: Inflate with outside air, vent umbrella to outside air to deflate.

Not certain, but don't lab pipettes function like that. Push the button on the top to suck the contents into the pipette?

Edited: Nevermind. They don't work that way.

1. Flip your schematic around. Fat part will be held in the user's hand, skinny part holds the umbrella.
2. Port the rod (i.e. use a hollow tube) so that air can go through it.
3. When extended, the volume of air in the fat part will be directed through the rod into the umbrella. It will be pulled back in when retracted.

You will need good seals (FKM resists air seepage better than most), and probably some way to make up for losses over time. Otherwise the umbrella will become flaccid as the volume of pressurized air seeps out while it's extended, and not replenished as quickly with the smaller pressure differential to atm while retracted.

Interesting concept, good luck!

View attachment 272180

So now you just push an unlatch to open an umbrella, you want to stand outside and "pump it up" ???...:nutter:
YouTube

Last edited:
So now you just push an unlatch to open an umbrella, you want to stand out and "pump it up" ???...:nutter:
YouTube

I think the plan is that the act of opening the umbrella has a long enough stroke to inflate it as well. Not super feasible in my book because to do so will either require tiny tubes in the umbrella portion (which won't be stiff enough to stand up to heavy rain, much less wind), or an enormous volume in the pump portion (which gets heavy/bulky quick)....

Also, I expected the video to be this:

YouTube

I want one powered by pellet gun CO2 cartridges. BAM! umbrella up! Getting a bit limp? Pull the trigger again!

Make the thing out of the same material as auto airbags.

Could be a self defense umbrella

I want one powered by pellet gun CO2 cartridges. BAM! umbrella up! Getting a bit limp? Pull the trigger again!

Make the thing out of the same material as auto airbags.

Could be a self defense umbrella

Immediately illegal in NJ, CA, MD, MA, NY. In the south, it doubles as a pellet gun.

I think the plan is that the act of opening the umbrella has a long enough stroke to inflate it as well. Not super feasible in my book because to do so will either require tiny tubes in the umbrella portion (which won't be stiff enough to stand up to heavy rain, much less wind), or an enormous volume in the pump portion (which gets heavy/bulky quick)....

Also, I expected the video to be this:

YouTube

I think it sounds like something for sale at "the stockroom" no linky provided.....

Back