What's new
What's new

Mounting a rear toolpost, Harrison M300

Bill D

Diamond
I have a spare BXA toolpost I would like to mount on my Harrison m300 lathe. Some folks make a fancy dovetail adapter so no holes are drilled in the cross slide. Is there any reason not to just drill a mounting hole and thread it into the cross slide. Of course watching out for oil passages, nuts and cross screw etc.
Would this be strong enough so the casting will not snap. This is a 13inch lathe with 3 horsepower so it has enough power to do some damage.

Bill D.

https://www.ebay.com/i/183766853439...MItdWkn8625gIVwsDACh31lgIpEAQYASABEgKucvD_BwE

That makes sense that using the dovetail I can slide it back out of the way. Now I have to figure out the dovetail angle and find an endmill to match. The main ways are oddball I think 70 degrees. They are not 60 or 45 which. would be easy to find a match.
Bill D

You can make the dove tail part to clamp with screws on side of a plate, that's way you can lock the plate and also make simple dove tail side bar that can be milled with regular mill by tilting or angled vice etc...

You can make the dove tail part to clamp with screws on side of a plate, that's way you can lock the plate and also make simple dove tail side bar that can be milled with regular mill by tilting or angled vice etc...

That idea sure saves a lot of time and material.
Bill D.

Back