What's new
What's new

Pulley, help find

Ivan Vegvary

Plastic
What is the name of a pulley whereby you can lock your load by pulling your rope off to the side. Want to hang my die grinder from the ceiling. Can not find it on McMaster Carr.
Thanks

You could look at tool balancers. They are used on assembly lines to hang tools at a convenient location and allow the tool to be pulled down and used, then pop back up out of the way. They are rated for specific weight ranges, so pick one to suit your tool.

Larry

Sounds like the now discontinued Hoist'N Lok big game hoist.

They had a cam that locked the rope by pulling it to the side.

Since they are no longer made I think you'll have to scour the web for a used one. I know some bow hunters that have them but you'd have to pry it out of their cold dead hands.

EDIT: Looks like I was incorrect about them being discontinued.

Amazon.com: CRKT Hoist'N Lok Big Game Hoist Hunting Game Hoist, 4:1 Mechanical Pulley, Secure Cam Lock, Gambrel and Rope HOIST1: Home Improvement

Sounds like the now discontinued Hoist'N Lok big game hoist.

They had a cam that locked the rope by pulling it to the side.

Since they are no longer made I think you'll have to scour the web for a used one. I know some bow hunters that have them but you'd have to pry it out of their cold dead hands.

I recall seeing a "hay hoist" made cheaply in Taiwan, stamped sheet metal, painted bright red.
Same feature. although it had 2 pulleys for multiplication, you could just remove the lower one,
as the locking feature was on the top one.

Tractor supply et all sold them.

An excellent description of my "block and tackle" bought so long ago but still working fine

An irksome feature is the effort to "unlock" goes right on up with the load lifted:D

Having four hands is a great help

I recall seeing a "hay hoist" made cheaply in Taiwan, stamped sheet metal, painted bright red.
Same feature. although it had 2 pulleys for multiplication, you could just remove the lower one,
as the locking feature was on the top one.

Tractor supply et all sold them.

Might try someplace like West Marine. Sailboat hardware.

Blocks and fairleads can all be found with integrated cam cleats.

As I said in post #2, tool balancer.

Larry

The suggestions above are way overkill. Trying to raise/lower and secure 2-3 lbs. maximum.
I will spend $2 and buy a replacement Venetian blind cord mechanism.

I sure remember 40-50 years ago, simple pulleys that had a groove to one side of the sheave whereby you could simply pull your cord to one side and JAM the pulley. Tug and recenter the cord to release. There must be a name for such pulley.
Thanks everyone.

The suggestions above are way overkill. Trying to raise/lower and secure 2-3 lbs. maximum.
I will spend $2 and buy a replacement Venetian blind cord mechanism....

VB repair parts are way overkill. I could do it with a piece of string, two nails and a nut. Maybe just one nail and a screw eye if I wanted to get fancy.

Larry

Back