What's new
What's new

Punch Press Holes?

WJ Birmingham

Cast Iron
This might be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyhow.

I'm needing some 16ga mild steel sheet plugs, about the size of a nickle.

I got to thinking that maybe someone on here might work in a punch press shop and have access to ~50 of them.

You might have better luck finding them if you search for "slugs". That's
what the punch press guys call them. And if you could give us the OD you need
in inches rather than coin denomination.

Chuck
Burbank, CA

Last edited:
Wagner sells them in 5 different metals, but starting at 1" and going up from there. If you are welding them onto the ends of pipe or tubing, why dont you just chop them off a piece of round bar? Thats what I always do. Have done hundreds and hundreds of them that way, ranging from 1/2" to 3" or so- above that, I usually plasma cut em. We use the cold saw, then we can cut them any thickness we want, but for welding, 1/8" is about right, cut them very slightly smaller in diameter than the pipe, and autogenous tig weld em on. Dont want to remember how many times I have done this.

Round Disks | Wagner Companies

I actually have a Whitney punch and a ironworker that both leave round slugs- but they are not really good for welding on pipe ends, as they have a dimple in the middle from the punch, and are deformed and not flat.

I have buckets of 13/16 slugs 1/4 and 3/8 thick mostly. we generally put dimple inside and use the dome as finish surface. We have an 1 1/4 punch with removed tit for standard wall rails, still have a little dome, nothing a grinder can not handle when hitting the welds.

You might have better luck finding them if you search for "slugs". That's
what the punch press guys call them. And if you could give us the OD you need
in inches rather than coin denomination.

Chuck
Burbank, CA

Slugs! Thanks.

As for dimension, oh, around 0.500" would work just fine. I'm wanting to weld up the trim holes in an Olds cutlass to turn it into a 442 clone.

Turn some steel shaft to nice fit in the holes and part off thicker then the
sheet metal, leave tit on parted off piece if it has one. Fit plug into hole and
back up with heavy flat piece of steel and hammer the steel plug expanding it to
make a tight fit. Grind / sand plug to match sheet metal surface.

This might be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyhow.

I'm needing some 16ga mild steel sheet plugs, about the size of a nickle.

I got to thinking that maybe someone on here might work in a punch press shop and have access to ~50 of them.

While I appreciate the idea, them being galvanized doesn't lend well to welding.

Gonna make us drag ALL the requirements out of you one post at a time sir ?

Back