What's new
What's new

Purpose of 3-jaw independent Chuck on NMTB50 arbor?

Cannonmn

Stainless
Found one of these in the warehouse today, no idea where it came from. The Chuck is by Union, is 10”, has 3 independent jaws, each with a 1/2” male square drive protruding outside Chuck body. The back is bolted to an NMTB50 arbor that has only one 1” wide, full-depth key slot. So what was the purpose, spin workpiece in mill and hold cutter in vise (why?) or what? Did it fit on something other than a mill? Sry no pic, had no phone on me then.

Possibly for a dividing head, we have a cincinatti dividing head that has a 50 taper socket. have have a 4 jaw attached to a cut down milling holder.

Yeah, dividing head or, perhaps more likely, a workhead for a tool&cutter grinder. Many of those had NMTB50 tapers so mills could be sharpened on their arbors.

On a lathe, a independent 3 jaw be nice for holding hex work, and like a 4jaw if one should not have a 4 jaw.
Good with leaving two jaws in set position and so needing to only pull one jaw.

Agree the arbor likely suggests it may have been a TC, Od grinder (or something) chuck.

With the taper, it could be handy as a tool cutter holder in a mill having that taper..

Thx. Yes it could certainly have been intended for a dividing head. I should have mentioned that the “otherwise” NMTB 50 arbor lacks the “neck” maybe intended to further discourage mounting it on a mill. The single key slot is the first “not for mills” indication. The protruding jaw screw heads wouldn’t be used on a Chuck intended to spin at hundreds of rpm in a mill.

My Kearney & Trecker dividing head would like that chuck if you want to sell it.

Thx, I’ll put a note in my “estate sale” file.

Meanwhile my K&T mill has a spline shaft it’d like to connect to a K&T dividing head if you decide to sell that. : c ). I hadn’t thought much about trying to adapt another brand of DH to it, I guess any with shaft connection at same or greater height above table would work, just throw in a big shim of needed thickness,

Back