What's new
What's new

Purpose of this long ovaloid sheet metal die?

Thanks, looks like you’ve solved the mystery. I just won it in an auction with a rack of other 4-foot dies and maybe some longer.

Picked up the die collection; here are pix of the hollow urethane die. The red thing is the urethane insert, approx. 2 x 2 in. X-sec. The urethane is much harder than I expected, I can barely get a few thou of my fingernail into a corner of it. Has anyone used these? It seems you can use them as the “female” part of various male dies you have, within some limits. Any books you’d recommend on operating press brakes that are recent enuf to include info on this type of die? I looked up maker, Kauffmann of Chicago, and apparently they are gone.

John Morris has shared 2 photos with you! | Flickr

Picked up the die collection; here are pix of the hollow urethane die. The red thing is the urethane insert, approx. 2 x 2 in. X-sec. The urethane is much harder than I expected, I can barely get a few thou of my fingernail into a corner of it. Has anyone used these? It seems you can use them as the “female” part of various male dies you have, within some limits. Any books you’d recommend on operating press brakes that are recent enuf to include info on this type of die? I looked up maker, Kauffmann of Chicago, and apparently they are gone.

John Morris has shared 2 photos with you! | Flickr

If you decide to sell it, I would be interested?

Kevin

Urethane is available as a two part liquid you can cast. I made the Indian emblem on the seat for the bike in my avatar by making a cast in alginate dental impression material on an unused seat, making a plaster cast of that and finally a cerrometal stamp. I made a stamp for a friend by making a silicon rubber cast of my punch and casting urethane in that.

The urethane was sold as a drop hammer die facing. If God made anything tougher, he kept it for himself.

Bill

Back