What's new
What's new

PVC conduit chemical compatibility question

Paul Cataldo

Stainless
I recently purchased an 04 Dodge Cummins 24v diesel with a flatbed previous owner had put on. They used two 1.5" PVC 90's for the filler neck to the tank, as the gas cap location in the flatbed was located a couple feet back towards the rear in relation to the OEM location.
More specifically, the grey electrical pvc (RNC) was used.
I've now installed a much better fuel filtration system and pump on the truck which runs a constant stream of return-line-fuel back to the tank THROUGH the filler neck where they had me tie in (apparently these injection pumps get a ton of diesel fuel supplied to them, but they dont use it all and the extra fuel gets returned back to tank)
As mentioned, this returned fuel gets pumped back to the filler neck via a T they had me install in the flexible hose portion of the filler neck.
Anyhow, it got me wondering if there is any issue at all with regards to chemical compatibility between this RNC pvc and diesel fuel?
The info I've managed to find, seems to show this is ok and that pvc has good chemical resistance but this was for white PVC and not grey electrical RNC. So I'm just not 100% sure to be honest and I get a little nervous now that this pvc sees a constant circulation of diesel fuel, as opposed to just the occasional once a week fill-up at the pump. Any help appreciated.

They are the same chemical makup, with PVC for plumbing is pressure rated and doesn't do good with uv, gray electrical PVC is not pressure rated and does well with uv...just don't go dumping acetone down there.

Back