What's new
What's new

Q. re compressor for air grinder

Marty Feldman

Titanium
I have several compressors. Smallest, which I use for Noga mist cooling milling with nonferrous, puts out only 0.7 cfm @ 90 psi, 135 max, 0.5 hp. I assume it would not be capable of running a typical 50K rpm handheld air grinder for more than ... what? 10 sec? Am I right about that? Do they make any models of these grinders that this particular little compressor will operate satisfactorily? Doesn't have to run at 50 K and doesn't have to run for minutes at a stretch.

-Marty-

Handheld air grinders come in different sizes, needing different amounts of air. A dental grinder can get by with a lot less air than a Dotco or Chicago Pneumatic with a 3/8" collet.

I have not used any of my air grinders for many years, preferring electric or battery models. Here on PM a few years back, I was tipped off to the IR battery straight and right angle die grinders with 1/4" collets. That turned out to be just the thing to clean out rotted house trim before filling with Bondo.

My 50K (variable speed) RPM tool is a Saeyang electric Marathon Handy 700 micromotor with 1/16, 3/32 and 1/8" collets. It is much better for some jobs than the 18K RPM Foredom flex shaft tools.

Larry

A quick search on Msc shows even the little 1/8' pencil grinders using between 6-12 cfm @90psi.

Are you sure your unit is only making .7 (point seven) cfm? If so, I would probably just go to an electric dremel, assuming 1/8" collets/bits will work for you. I would go corded too. I bought a battery operated one and it had no ass and the battery life was poopoo.

Back