What's new
What's new

QT Milacron + hurricane

crazygoat

Stainless
I know that you can't respond this now, but I hope you come through this o.k. Plenty of devastation is going to hit your area. I pray you come out of this safe and sound.

I know that you can't respond this now, but I hope you come through this o.k. Plenty of devastation is going to hit your area. I pray you come out of this safe and sound.

He'll be OK, on the other hand, there are thousands of moderators on this forum:willy_nilly:

He made mention of it in the past 24 hours in another thread.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...issues/anybody-going-imts-354595/#post3235846

Seemed that the mandatory evacuation for his county was cancelled.

My best wishes for all of you in harms way. Strange day in the States, with that exploding gas thing.

Regards Phil

He'll be OK

Exactly, hes probably taken his millions and bought all the cheap chines boat anchor grade machines in a couple of hundred miles and just made a artificial reef around his boat! No doubt hoping to make a killing selling quality well preserved vintage German iron post this. One mans disaster is another's opportunity and all that.

Exactly, hes probably taken his millions and bought all the cheap chines boat anchor grade machines in a couple of hundred miles and just made a artificial reef around his boat! No doubt hoping to make a killing selling quality well preserved vintage German iron post this. One mans disaster is another's opportunity and all that.
What a fuckwit. There's a hurricane baring down, and you want to go all Benny Hill.

Interesting was His post showing a "lock gate" into the small harbor
where the "Practical Machinist Special" resides, for just such events.

Didn't even know such things existed other than on canal locks.

They are actually quite commonly in use for yacht basins, as it keeps the water level relatively constant during tidal changes. The down side of course is arrivals and departures can only occur during high tide.

I think he sold his hurricane bait. Apparently to someone in N.C.:D

I know nada as to the status of "MV Hurricane Bait", but have been in his present shop/offices. Building itself sits below an elevated road, not all that badly exposed. Lots of trees nearby, however. Flying debris damage is a possibility. As it is well South and West of Beaufort, present track sez that won't be the biggie. Flooding is a possibility, though there again, location is not the worst.

His residence is probably far more at risk that the shop is.

Let's hope his silence is because he is holed up in an already off-peak holiday spa in Europe with other things on his mind. And/or body.

Otherwise, if he has stayed to-home, he'll be as busy holding the fort and frustratedly "preparing to cope" as a one-legged man with an arse-kicking contest on next WEEK's dance-card, and nought much to do useful TODAY but stay "hull-down" as in armoured vehicle, AND NOT as-in watercraft.

Not out of the realm of reason the power-outages have already affected his area.

:(

I have seen his anchorage on Google maps. Considering the tidal surge of 8, 10, or more feet, I doubt that lock is going to do much good. The water probably rose high enough for any boat in there to just float over the lock gate and any surrounding land. If I recall correctly, he has a house on the water there and it was probably completely flooded on the first floor, at least. His best bet would have been to sail north or south several hundred miles last week. Anyway, that's what I would have done, probably down to Key West or up to Newport.

I have seen his anchorage on Google maps. Considering the tidal surge of 8, 10, or more feet, I doubt that lock is going to do much good. The water probably rose high enough for any boat in there to just float over the lock gate and any surrounding land. If I recall correctly, he has a house on the water there and it was probably completely flooded on the first floor, at least. His best bet would have been to sail north or south several hundred miles last week. Anyway, that's what I would have done, probably down to Key West or up to Newport.

Surge, as is the nature of Northern-hemisphere cyclonic rotation, is FAR worse to the North of the eye, See weather.gov & National Hurricane Center interactive & static maps.

Dogpatch-by-the-sea is actually not in the "zone" for horrific sea-surge.

Mind - I do NOT know where "MV Hurricane-bait" is/was/ moored, nor if it is even still his concern. I was only buying a French lathe, merely fondling his Schaublins, and but eyeballing his Deckels from a distance. Actually envied Don's exotic MHE collection about as much as his machinery inventory. All that's weird enough, yah?

:)

Personally, I had skipped the "hole in the water" addiction years and tears earlier in life for a temporary go at "holes in the air", and rented wings, not owned, even so.

Personally, I had skipped the "hole in the water" addiction years and tears earlier in life for a temporary go at "holes in the air", and rented wings, not owned, even so.

As someone on another forum said recently, the good thing about owning a hole in the water is, everything else seems cheap by comparison.....

PDW

Dogpatch-by-the-sea is actually not in the "zone" for horrific sea-surge.
In January I moved to Hilton Head Island .... was a hard decision, as traffic here can be horrible sometimes....but my neighborhood is the first thing on the island, immediately after the bridge, so not so bad to get to the mainland, as it might be if deeper on the island.

As as we are the southernmost county in the state, we missed the hurricane and rain....no big deal here, winds predicted at 24 mph today.....as of 1:30 no rain...., but tomorrow only 12 mph....storm surge maybe 1 foot...40% chance of rain

In January I moved to Hilton Head Island .... was a hard decision, as traffic here can be horrible sometimes....but my neighborhood is the first thing on the island, immediately after the bridge, so not so bad to get to the mainland, as it might be if deeper on the island.

As as we are the southernmost county in the state, we missed the hurricane and rain....no big deal here, winds predicted at 24 mph today.....as of 1:30 no rain...., but tomorrow only 12 mph....storm surge maybe 1 foot...40% chance of rain

Compromises.

Even in, or heading-into, a retirement with wide-open choices, it seems even the safest of locations are inconvenient, boring, uneconomic, both - all.. and not even as safe as all that, regardless.

About a dozen major storms a year graze or hit Hong Kong - "Mangkhut" inbound and already pushing fresh veg prices up by 70% and climbing, per "matrimonial chat" just now.

Not entirely unwelcome, those storms, though.

Stuck at the discharge end of the Pearl River basin industrial complex, it's the only time Honkers get fresh air not sold in tins!

:)

PS: Mongkhut's effects look to even reach Dali, up on Lake Erhai. If you get exactly ONE chance at a visit to China, make it THERE. You won't see the China you've learned to expect. You may not even want to come home.

Erhai Lake - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Glad all is OK.

Glad all is OK.
Thanks, Florence turned out to be a non issue for here... but it was worrisome for a few days (naturally at it's most worrisome when I was at IMTS and couldn't do a thing about preparations and concerned about getting back on the island as it might have been blocked to all incoming traffic if mandatory evac was enforced like it was for the last two hurricanes)

Also I figured it would be unbelievable to be effected by hurricanes three years in a row here (when previously the last major hurricane here was in 1893 !) just from a statistical probability standpoint....but then that might be a case of "gamblers fallacy" ?

Also I figured it would be unbelievable to be effected by hurricanes three years in a row here (when previously the last major hurricane here was in 1893 !) just from a statistical probability standpoint....but then that might be a case of "gamblers fallacy" ?

Not so. Happening all over. The global warming average temp may be moving slowly and within bounds we can (so far) cope with, but.

Recent trends support the observation that weather extremes are becoming MORE "extreme" and often enough to constitute a "new normal". California's drought/wildfire/flood cycle looks to be here to stay and getting worse, not better, each year.

Hong Kong & Monghut example is similar. The hardball "Typhoon Signal "Number TEN" - distance to hit based, as much as how fierce - had been issued 16 times only since 1946.

However.. the most recent ones are getting closer together: 1999, 2012, 2014, 2017, 2018.

The gaps? Not actually gaps at all.

Some OTHER part of China was hit, much as Texas and the Gulf stood Harvey, New Jersey and the Atlantic coast stood Sandy, or N'Orleans and the Gulf suffered Katrina.

Fewer and fewer no/low damage years intervening to let folk spread the costs and recover.

This continues - as it will - there could easily be more than one "big one" each season, going forward, Atlantic AND Pacific, EACH.

Each of those knocks tens of billions of bucks out of the economy. 2017 Harvey's $125 billion, already a tie with Katrina's 2005 $125 billion needs to look also at the other two 2017'ers. Maria and Irma, same year, add another $156 billion, combined. That's just in OUR "backyard". USD$ 280 billion, 2017 alone.

Jury still out on Florence' costs, ~ USD$ 20 billion may be conservative.

One we get into, and STAY in that sort of pattern the economic burden and the time rollbacks to progress are bound to affect more than just the direct impact zones.

Back