Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use old Federal Miracle-Movement indicators, from .001 down to .0001 in the big AGD2 and AGD3 sizes. Very well made, solid and responsive. And you can read them from across the room, no magnifier needed.

The other brands have more name recognition, and stupid prices to match. Federals have very high quality for what you are getting, and fair prices.

I found an outfit that is rebuilding them: Ideal Precision Home >> Ideal Precision Instrument Service, Inc. >> Your Single Source for Precision Instruments, Gaging and Repair in Ohio. No complaints at all, good workmanship and good pricing.

The best indicators I have are Compac, but the Federals do the every day heavy lifting for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the best deal is metric indicators. 90 percent of my indicator use is a simple comparator to dial some
    part to center or square . wtf does it matter the grads are english or SI . i think it is silly to assume
    that .0001 inch is any different than .001 mm when centering the work or squaring a vise. when i have
    to offset in a 4 jaw , or setup a taper in a vise to print...and it's in inch decimals, i have that covered too.

i have 10 or more metric dial and test indicators which i paid 5 or 10 dollars apiece . chump change for
    german and swiss and japan made tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuckNJ View Post
    ah, a stupid person who still believes the election was stolen.
    ah, a stupid person who really believes that 80 million people actually voted for a guy that can't complete a sentence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please, can we keep the comments to the subject at hand, THE QUALITY OF FEDERAL DIAL INDICATORS.

I'm trying to get opinions and information on tooling not political views of elections or politicians themselves. It would be a shame to have this thread closed because it was hijacked and turned into a discussion prohibited by the rules of the forum.

Thank You.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have always liked Federal test indicators because of the reliability, repeatability, cost of acquisition, and the fact that I was always able to fix anything that went wrong with them. When the shop was up and running my standard indicator test was to put a .001 shim under one end of a 6 inch sine bar. I would run the indicator up then down and it had better repeat back to zero. Then I would run it up on the sine bar from the right and the left, both better be the same. I was always able to get the Federals to do that. Found out that the secret to this was to keep the jewels adjusted to eliminate the axial clearance on the shafts. I had other brands that I just could not get to that point. Got a high dollar Interapid now that I just can't get to run reliably.
    My favorite B'port tram had a 1.5" Federal test indicator in it. One day, one of my employees borrowed it for a minute and turned on the spindle with it attached. The attached part didn't last too long, and he threw it up against a cement block wall. Gave him a crappy old Starrett to use and proceeded to repair the Federal out of spare parts that I had around. Now I never loan it out anymore