What's new
What's new

Quality NMTB 30 taper holders?

Grigg

Hot Rolled
What are current options for quality new NMTB 30 end mill holders, collet chucks, and other NMTB 30 taper tooling?

If MariTool offered NMTB 30 I'd start and stop there... but no luck.
NMTB Tool Holders - MariTool

How do these others rate?
NMTB 30 Archives - Briney Tooling Systems
Tool Holders, Mill Holders, Collets: Collis Toolholder Iowa
lyndex-nikken NMTB30 holder
I'm not familiar with Briney at all, Collis and Lyndex I thought were good quality a few decades ago.

Trying to outfit a new addition to the shop. Haven't purchased or used new tool holders in years so not familiar with what's good and what to avoid these days.

And/or, should I find or make a metric drawbar and use BT30 tooling?
I don't have any 30 taper tooling at all and I'd like to stick with one version or the other and not switch drawbars all the time.

Thanks for the input,
Grigg

I have a set of Briney purchased 20+ years ago and they were good quality and all are still in use. Do not have any Collis but I think they have a good reputation.
1 of the 4 or 5 of the Lyndex will not tighten in the quick change the others are good.
We have modified a couple of BT 30s for use in our 30 quick change, they work but I only use them for light duty as the do not bear completely on the flange. Draw bar use with metric threads should work well. If you have another BT30 machine or think you may in the future that would be a plus.

Last edited:
I have Erickson QC30 tooling. It will work in any standard 30 NMTB spindle with a drawbar, and also works with Erickson QC30 spindles using the taper end retaining nut. I have both a Series 1 manual Bridgeport and a Tree CNC with the QC30 spindles. You may have to pay a little more up front for compatible, but you would then have that option if the need arose.

I ran a Bridgeport series II with NMTB 30 tooling. Sold it ten years ago and forgot about the tooling, It re surfaced when I moved in a LeBlond lathe. Milady was going to ebay it, but no time so far.

if you'd buy several at $50 each, give me your email, and I'll take them out and photo them. if that's too dear for you, let's not waste each others' time.

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

It is not a quick change spindle but does have a drawbar. I understand that QC compatible holders would work just the same but that's not an important feature in my case.
I don't anticipate owing any other 30 taper machines but that's a good argument for the BT30.

Grigg

Does this happen to anyone else?

Just looked all over for that box of NMTB 30 tooling. Its gone again.

Yep.
I have tried to give away some surplus stuff on this site and then can not find it. More than once. Larry Vanice seems to be much more organized than me when he offers something for sale.

Back