What's new
What's new

quality screwdriver set

badwithusernames

Aluminum
In the past several months, I've bent/ broken/ misplaced a good number of screwdrivers. In an attempt to replace them, I realize that most every brand I can find is not of the "quality" that they once were. I would happily spend the coin on good tools, but it seems that everyone outsources everything, and quality is suspect. Who still makes decent screwdrivers? I was thinking maybe Proto, but I can only mail order their stuff, and I don't want a $200 test drive. Or maybe Knipex; they make really nice pliers. Maybe their other tools are decent?

I am a mechanic and really like the snap on screwdrivers . I know they cost a lot but I use them everyday .

I might get banned for this but, I use harbor fright flathead and phillip's screwdrivers, bondhus allen wrenches, wiha torx, if I am working on something that a don't want to mar the screws I use a set from chapman manufacturing. I like to get good tools and do for some things however I have a bad habit of abusing screwdrivers especially flatheads. Sometimes they get used as a prybar, chisel, soldering iron, ect.

Last edited:
I have screwdrivers that are over 50 years old and still going strong. Are present day ones as good? I don't know. Some screwdrivers are prone to wear. Phillips tip ones are one example, probably due to the cam-out problem and hardened screw heads.

I have purchased a number of brands over the years and most of them have worn well. Craftsman was one of my favorites, not for any great quality, but for the guarantee. I have a Craftsman offset driver that has been replace two or three times after breaking. Since Sears is no longer here, I don't know if that lifetime warranty is still any good.

If I wanted to buy a known good screw driver today, I would order from McMaster. Their stuff is usually good.

I had quite a few of the old black handled Snap On screwdrivers. The handles tend to split after twenty years or so. The Snap On man used to just put a new handle on right there. Now they take the old one and give you a new one with a colorful, plastic handle. Nice, but I think the old ones were nicer, at least those handles felt better to me.

Years ago I bought a set of Grace gunsmithing screwdrivers that are excellent for clock work. Many antique clocks have screws that are far outside any modern standard usually requiring a wide but very narrow blade. The Grace screwdrivers are really easy to regrind and, as far as I can tell, are hardened and tempered along the entire shaft so I can keep using them until they get too short.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into the Mac and snap on. From firsthand experience, the Klein, Craftsman, and Stanley tools of my youth are now garbage. I also had several for 20-30 years, and eventually they wear out. I bought some new Craftsman and Klein, and there is no way they will last 20 years gif I use them. The Klein tips just break if you put too much torque to them. The craftsman shafts bend.
It's such a simple tool, theres no excuse for such garbage.

I have a few wihah or wera screwdrivers can't remember which they are. They have tiny grooves engraved in the tips which help prevent camming out an amazing amount. I couldn't believe the difference the first time I used them.
I would buy more of them but 99% of the time I use a screwdriver it's in a drill or impact driver and is a Robertson drive (square) they tend to stay in without any problems.

Just looked and they're Wera.

Just finished placing an order on KCtools and amazon. I bought the 20 piece Wiha set and a 10 piece Hazet set. Both are German and have decent reviews, so I will report back when I get them. The Wiha set was $130, and the Hazets were $80 or so. I have some Hazet wrenches that I really like, so I figured it would be good to try the wrenches. Thanks for the suggestions, I hadn't heard of the Wiha but the reviews are good. SD

I have all older Snap-on which was the gold standard...but I have a set of Wiha "Microfinish" black handles that have the shank that goes all the way with a metal cap on the end. I think these are the best I have ever used.

don't know if Wera/ Wiha screwdrivers have this, but the set of Felo screwdrivers a friend gave me for doing some work for his truck have a hex shank just south of the handle. Haven't used them much but that feature was super handy when breaking loose a tight slotted screw. I could put a lot of weight on the screwdriver to stop it camming out but turn it real easy with a wrench on the hex.

I had a set of whia stainless off my mate, they get supplied to the hospital, they don’t want carbon steel getting on their surgical stuff apparently, they were really nice, since I’ve tried the carbon steel ones not quite as nice but good, bahco ones again quite good, one of my favourites was a tiny set of xcellte swappable blades and nut drivers I had, good tool, I must admit I do like wooden handles tactile things, bought a few old marples and a big Stanley cabinet pattern about 14” long, really nice, been meaning to make some parallel tip screwdrivers on the horizontal mill, better for instrument screws than wedge tip, funny how you find a favourite shape, sometimes even a cheapie works out
Mark

I had a set of whia stainless off my mate, they get supplied to the hospital, they don’t want carbon steel getting on their surgical stuff apparently, they were really nice, since I’ve tried the carbon steel ones not quite as nice but good, bahco ones again quite good, one of my favourites was a tiny set of xcellte swappable blades and nut drivers I had, good tool, I must admit I do like wooden handles tactile things, bought a few old marples and a big Stanley cabinet pattern about 14” long, really nice, been meaning to make some parallel tip screwdrivers on the horizontal mill, better for instrument screws than wedge tip, funny how you find a favourite shape, sometimes even a cheapie works out
Mark

I bought nearly all my screwdrivers in my apprenticeship. The red and blue handled ergonomic " Stanley " type. I still have all of them now and they're 50 years old at least. Buy good stuff and don't abuse it, and you can keep them for a life time.

Regards Tyrone.

Back