What's new
What's new

Quality workshop press recommendation (Europe)

Luke Rickert

Hot Rolled
I am looking for a good quality (not chinese etc) hydraulic press for my workshop. I work with small to medium size parts, not big heavy rusty stuff, forming etc but rather pressing bearings onto small spindles etc. thinking 15-20 tonnes, maybe one from APAC in Itlay Hydraulic workbench press with moveable piston: 1650B - 1652B - Apac Vicenza or a floor standing model. (they run around 800-1200 euros before freight)

Any thoughts, there seem to be many options out there. I think manual is fine although the two speed pump is appealing. A 500mm (19in) capacity is probably enough but perhaps getting the floor standing model would be a better idea. shipping on these things is expensive so the final cost difference of the floor standing vs bench isn't large and they probably take the same amount of floor/bench space.

thanks

Luke

At a certain point it is better to spend my time working on things I can't buy off the shelf. I understand the appeal of building one but it would end up being far more costly in terms of time used not doing paid work and materials would add up as well.

If you're mostly doing small spindles and the like, you may be better off with a manual arbor press - more sensitive, less likely to destroy a bearing during assembly. You should only need 3kg or so capacity. Maybe add a cheap, larger hydraulic for those times where a little muscle is needed.

At a certain point it is better to spend my time working on things I can't buy off the shelf. I understand the appeal of building one but it would end up being far more costly in terms of time used not doing paid work and materials would add up as well.

You want chinese junk rather than something more accurate ?
Don't roll up your cost's on "rolling your own", you'll never make it that way.
Rather, get the accuracy and stiffness that YOU need, in a configuration/size that
works for you.

Not a Home shop, undersized,
punched holes, bottle jack press, made by the lowest price bidder.

I will look into a good arbor press, I do probably need a hydraulic one as well but really hate those Chinese ones. Given I can't go pick one up close by, the freight costs would be more than a cheap press.

OTC, Powerteam and Enerpac make good solid quality shop presses, and they all look pretty similar. I love my OTC 50 Ton open frame for things my #6 Greenerd won't do.. Sunnen makes a nice bench press geared toward engine work. Dake has been a traditional press builder for years, but I remember there was discussion here about them not being as powerful as their tonnage rating indicated. I don't know what's available in France though.

You want chinese junk rather than something more accurate ?
Don't roll up your cost's on "rolling your own", you'll never make it that way.
Rather, get the accuracy and stiffness that YOU need, in a configuration/size that
works for you.

Not a Home shop, undersized,
punched holes, bottle jack press, made by the lowest price bidder.

???
He specifically said "not Chinese" in the original post.

CarlBoyd

MKH press HPE 30
or smallest Vakomet KR400 workshop press(40 ton.. 500kg.. 5.5HP electric motor)
Both industrial quality from Europe/Finland ;)

I will probably get a 20 tonne Compac, I thought they were much more expensive than the other European presses but apparently not. Thanks for the link. I have used a small C press from Compac and it seemed very well made.

I will probably get a 20 tonne Compac, I thought they were much more expensive than the other European presses but apparently not. Thanks for the link. I have used a small C press from Compac and it seemed very well made.

Lots of european tools are WAY cheaper on TBS-Aachen than local tool store list prices. Sometimes like -80% discount

Back