What's new
What's new

Qualters & Smith power hacksaw conundrum

Electronjockey

Plastic
I purchased a Qualters & Smith power hacksaw months ago and it sits there looking at me and daring me turn it on. The problem is that it arrived with the mains supply cable hacked off and missing, which puts me in a quandary because there are also no controls on the hydraulic cylinder and I do not know if there should be any. I lashed out the expense of purchasing a manual but that appears to be slightly different to the model that I have and the manual shows a couple of controls on the hydraulic cylinder. My question is, has anybody operated one of these without controls on the hydraulic cylinder and have they any instructions on how to control the beast?
I have attached a couple of photographs in order to illustrate the conundrum.
Power Hacksaw.jpgPower Hacksaw Hydraulic Ram.jpg

Is it hydraulic or air? I don't see a motor driving a pump but I think what I see is a motor driving a flywheel which might be attached to a crank rod. The use of an air cylinder to lift the blade on the return stroke seems reasonable, hydraulic would be overkill.

Is that hydraulic (or air?) cylinder there to lift the blade, or is it there only to act as a shock absorber or dashpot and slow it down? If it is the latter, no controls necessary.

I purchased a Qualters & Smith power hacksaw months ago and it sits there looking at me and daring me turn it on. The problem is that it arrived with the mains supply cable hacked off and missing, which puts me in a quandary because there are also no controls on the hydraulic cylinder and I do not know if there should be any. I lashed out the expense of purchasing a manual but that appears to be slightly different to the model that I have and the manual shows a couple of controls on the hydraulic cylinder. My question is, has anybody operated one of these without controls on the hydraulic cylinder and have they any instructions on how to control the beast?
I have attached a couple of photographs in order to illustrate the conundrum.
View attachment 320124View attachment 320125

Yup, quite a "conundrum" you've got....
Machinery Discussion Guidelines

From memory the Q&S I used was manual lift, a knob to lower, the cylinder ie blade lift on return stroke was automatic, basic set up like the old rapidor Manchester blade lift, if it goes back and forth your sorted
Mark

Is it hydraulic or air? I don't see a motor driving a pump but I think what I see is a motor driving a flywheel which might be attached to a crank rod. The use of an air cylinder to lift the blade on the return stroke seems reasonable, hydraulic would be overkill.

The manual calls for hydralic oil and gives the type as Century PWLL, so I am going to assume that the cylinder is hydraulic rather than taking it appart to find out. There is also a filler plug indicated on a drawing at the top of the cylinder, so I am pretty confident on that it is hydraulic.

From memory the Q&S I used was manual lift, a knob to lower, the cylinder ie blade lift on return stroke was automatic, basic set up like the old rapidor Manchester blade lift, if it goes back and forth your sorted
Mark

That agrees very much with the video suggested by Bill D. Looks as though I have a control missing.

There was a black Bakelite knob, bottom of cylinder, may be sheared off, you’ll soon find out if it’s lifting
Mark

Back