What's new
What's new

Question about Balas C10 collets

ratbldr427

Titanium
I am in need of some C10 collets and a closing nut.I can find all kinds of C6,C8, and C12's cheap but no C10's.There have been several manufacturers of Balas collets but it looks like Sandvic is the only one left and they don't have any C10's.
I have a new 50 taper C8 collet holder that I am probably going to whittle down to make an adapter and just use C8's.
Anybody done that? Tips welcomed.
This is for a Weldon air spindle.It originally came with a C6 adapter along with the C10 collets but that is all gone.
Anyone have any dimensions or drawings of a C10 collet?

Randy

Have you called Somma tool? They make C-3 through C-8, and offer C12 and C16 as specials. Maybe they'd make C10 for you? I didn't know there was a C10, never saw one. If you're going to cut up a holder, there are often straight shank holders C8 and larger on Ebay

Thanks Mud ,I will check them out.I'm beginning to wonder if Weldon was the only one to use them,however Balas definitely made them at one time.
I saw a lot of straight shank C8 holders but I don't think there is enough meat on the shank to end up with a C10 stub machined on them.
The C8 & C12's cover all the sizes that a C10 does so maybe they were redundant to begin with.The taper angle is about 19 degrees if something like a TG series collet was close I might be better off to regrind the spindle.I need a set for common shank size end mills so having them made would be cost prohibitive.

Weldon 200 collets

I am going through the same problem with my Weldon 200 air bearing spindle.
I am considering machining some collets from billet material.
I bought 2 separate fixtures with no collets or holding methods.

Thanks Mud ,I will check them out.I'm beginning to wonder if Weldon was the only one to use them,however Balas definitely made them at one time.
I saw a lot of straight shank C8 holders but I don't think there is enough meat on the shank to end up with a C10 stub machined on them.
The C8 & C12's cover all the sizes that a C10 does so maybe they were redundant to begin with.The taper angle is about 19 degrees if something like a TG series collet was close I might be better off to regrind the spindle.I need a set for common shank size end mills so having them made would be cost prohibitive.

Why not convert the spindle over to using ER-32 or ER-40 collets? That's what I did to mine. Of course mine is a older one with the 1.250" straight bore. Just used a collet chuck with 1.250" shank. Runout near zero, less than five tenths for the few sizes I've used. Much better runout than my other fixture, a Denver, that uses 5-C collets. I'm lucky if I can hold within seven tenths on it.

I actually did find some C10's.Not a complete set but if only one then that would have ben enough to copy. I started on making an adaptor out of a 50 taper C8 collet holder.

The original Weldon200 that used C10's came with a C6 adaptor. Damn strange that of all the Weldon air spindles out there for sale I have only seen 1 or 2 that were complete,most have just a few collets or none.

Before I got several of them there was a complete new Weldon kit, everything except the spindle on E-Bay that went for a little over $100.I didn't bid because I thought it would be easy to find a complete unit reasonably.

4GSR I did acquire a new straight bore spindle only that I might do that if it fits one of my housings.

I have just been covered up for the last few years and have not found time to mess with them.

Back