What's new
What's new

Question About Making a Spider for Rear Spindle

Bob Anderson

Plastic
What would be the best way to make a spider for the rear Headstock spindle on a Jet GH-1440 lathe with 1 1/2 spindle bore with rear threads of spindle 50 mm x 1.5 pitch ? I tried the search option but couldn't find a answer.

Hi Bob,

I will atempt to post a couple of pictures of a spider that I made for my 12 x 36. It the pictures don't make it, contact me at:
skeeter at cablelynx dot com

Spider2.jpg

Spider1.jpg

Should you need more information, give me an e-mail.

Good luck,
:D

Depends on what you're trying to do. My lathe is a Jet 13 x 40 GH, which is the same size as your 14 x 40 except for the swing. Using aluminum I made a collar that screws onto the spindle. I then pressed a steel bushing into the center of the collar which holds a dead center I made about 10" long. When chambering/threading rifle barrels I use this center to center the muzzle end of the barrel in the spindle. I did it this way because the headstock is too wide to use a "Spider" for centering barrels.

2235740250081046193S425x425Q85.jpg
2130014250081046193S425x425Q85.jpg

I like the one you made for your jet lathe and the spider look like it would be easier to make . I will see if i can find the material to make one. Did you cut the feamale threads with a single bit threading bit or did you use a tap ?

I made a adaptor like Skeeters for my Chinese 12x36 but made bushings by 16ths instead of the 3 screws. The adaptor has two tapped holes on the face to secure the bushings. Alot more work up front but now I can just slap them in and go.

I would order a new spindle Jam nut and weld a piece of pipe to it. Then drill and tape 4 holes, install screws and lock nuts. That's what I did for my Jet. It was cheap and I did not have to cut female, metric, left hand threads. I could have done it, but for what little the jam nut cost it was not worth the hassle to me.

BTW-I would definitely go with 4 screws. I think you will find it easier to dial in on the backside of the spindle that way.

I made the center because, as I've already said, the headstock is too wide to use a "spider" for nearly all rifle barrels. I got the short peice of aluminum bar stock for something like $5 and it took me all of a half hour to cut the threads--they're right-hand threads and I single-point cut them. Maybe an hour and half total to make the entire thing.

If I did nothing but 30+ inch barrels a "spider would be better...but I don't. Now, if you have one of the older, smaller, belt-drive Jet lathes a "spider" is the way to go, but not on the newer gear-head Jet lathes.

too many tools
idea looks workable ,particularly w/ a fresh cut center , BUT can u verify that the spindle bore center is true w/ the rear spindle thrds?..i cud not figure how to be sure/align the bushing "dead nuts"w/ spindle center..?????...i ask cause my monarch IS too long thru hdstck & i still work tween centers as i did 40 yrs ago
tnx
docn8as

Bob, I made the center out of a peice of 0-1 drill rod and made the bushing myself from a peice of mild steel.

Butch, I use PTG range rods to indicate the bore and center with my 4-jaw chuck. I cut chambers with a JGS reamer holder setup in a boring bar holder on my quick-change toolpost, using my DRO to measure depth of cut. The JGS has .040" of float so if the tailstock center is off a bit it really doesn't matter.

doc, for my purposes, and for reasons stated above, I don't need the center "dead nuts" centered with spindle.

Butch,

Ahhh,if you ar talking to me... spiders aren't just for barrel work. I use them to keep barstock from whipping. That's why slip-fit bushings work. No real need for indicating there. It makes me think I should tap some holes in my existing spider in the event I do need them.

The back end of my lathe spindle is too thin and battered (out of round) and too short to have any positive fitting collar and no threaded portion so what I did was chamfer my spider to approximately centralise the spindle bore.

I relied on the chuck at the other end to hold the chamfer in the spindle and three set screws with lock nuts to hold the material from whipping around.

The material in question was deformed bar for hold down bolts in a conctrete foundation as previously discussed elsewhere. Set screws are preferable to any sort of bushing for this application.

Back