What's new
What's new

Question about precision machining

solarium

Plastic
Hello,

I'm not a machinist, nor do I know anything about machining. Right now, I have a job that requires me to find the material makeup for a few thousand types of industrial equipment. At the moment, I am working on precision machining. The products I am researching are called plastic precision machining, ceramic precision machining, steel precision machining, aluminum precision machining, and brass precision machining. My question is, are these products' name referring to the material that the machining is made of, or the material that they are intended to work with? If the latter, are they all probably made out of the same materials? If someone knows what materials they are made out of and could let me know, it would be much appreciated.

Going to go out on a limb here and say that all those names are in reference to what the equipment is being used to produce, and as such, you will find almost entirely cast iron and steel in the machinery makeup, with a smattering of electronics, maybe a smidgeon of plastics, and non-ferrous grinding and carbide cutting tooling (of course those are not part of the machinery).

Not really an expert here either, but that's generally what machines are made of.

You need to find all the materials used in a few thousand types of industrial equipment? Really??

That is going to be a long list and many, many years work. Is this some kind of punishment task?

Last edited:
Well there are only 118 elements, and there are going to be some of those that aren't used.

Just list the the periodic chart..... :leaving:

Yes but just think about the number of organic compounds. Oils, plastics, paints, elastomers etc etc. Thousands of them are relevant. Then there are all the different Iron/Carbon + other alloys- certainly hundreds of them.

I can only think that the OP has upset someone powerful and vindictive.

If you have to make a list of every material used on even one large machine that would probably kill a few days. Doing it for a few thousand will kill the rest of your life. I think somebody might as well told you to go in a round room and sit in the corner.

That would be a question posed by someone with no knowledge of the topic to someone with no knowledge of the topic. Then the question was re-stated and posed to people who understand the topic but cannot understand the question. I will file this under "waste of time for all concerned."

Don't questions like this usually come from India?

Larry

That would be a question posed by someone with no knowledge of the topic to someone with no knowledge of the topic. Then the question was re-stated and posed to people who understand the topic but cannot understand the question. I will file this under "waste of time for all concerned."

Don't questions like this usually come from India?

Larry

The first thing I did when I read that post was check the poster's location... odd.

If you have to make a list of every material used on even one large machine that would probably kill a few days. Doing it for a few thousand will kill the rest of your life. I think somebody might as well told you to go in a round room and sit in the corner.

Exact same thing I was thinking. It's why I assume I am misunderstanding the question.

I mean short of like vegetables there is a bit of damn near everything in some machine tool made. Hell if you include organics maybe even some veggies.

As has been said steel and cast iron for the most part. with some rubber and plastic for seals and covers. maybe aluminum for covers. Do not forget the copper/aluminum wires and motor windings. Then various oils for lubrication and coolants. Some bronze for bushings.
There have been companies that tried to make machine main castings of concrete.
Bil lD.
modesto, ca

Back