Question about precision machining - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by timvercoe View Post
    re reading these comments I wonder what it says about us?

Tim
    I guess we're a little too jaded.

Or too many of us apprenticed under old gray beards.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ClearanceFit View Post
    Or too many of us apprenticed under old gray beards.
    Worse. Then BECAME such...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Worse. Then BECAME such...
    That ain't no joke. I hear myself saying some of the same sort of stuff.

"If i could . . . I wouldn't be here no more."
    "Just take it to the NC guy."
    "Dont worry about it, its just a little more clearance"
    "I could have done that in 30 minutes"

My personal favorite:
    "Two passes on the bridgeport and its done"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Once he's finished with his list of all of the items used in machining as requested, they will send him back out for a bucket of rpm, some cumulus clould oil and a kanibling pin for an anti-matter flux capacitor.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    Once he's finished with his list of all of the items used in machining as requested, they will send him back out for a bucket of rpm, some cumulus clould oil and a kanibling pin for an anti-matter flux capacitor.
    Could was.

The tasking smells like training in how to formulate effective search query terms in an IS/IT course so as to not return garbage overload.

Nought to do with machining, per se.

Bill

6. Likes Newman109, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The OP might have been set on one of those find the "metal stretcher" hunts and not even no it yet.

OP
    I am sure there are people here with the knowledge to help you but you need to be more clear on what you are trying to do.

Try explaining exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish.
    Maybe even some back ground to what your company does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by IronReb View Post
    Maybe he works for YOYODyne.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm convinced that someone routinely posts ridiculous questions like this just to stir things up. They always have very few posts and are asking or debating some dumbass question. Ignore this stuff and it will stop, because they can't get their jollies out of us. This is supposed to be a bunch of professionals.
    Last edited by jkruger; 06-25-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: typo

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by solarium View Post
    Hello,

I'm not a machinist, nor do I know anything about machining. Right now, I have a job that requires me to find the material makeup for a few thousand types of industrial equipment. At the moment, I am working on precision machining. The products I am researching are called plastic precision machining, ceramic precision machining, steel precision machining, aluminum precision machining, and brass precision machining. My question is, are these products' name referring to the material that the machining is made of, or the material that they are intended to work with? If the latter, are they all probably made out of the same materials? If someone knows what materials they are made out of and could let me know, it would be much appreciated.
    Machining is a verb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by IronReb View Post
    The OP might have been set on one of those find the "metal stretcher" hunts and not even no it yet.

OP
    I am sure there are people here with the knowledge to help you but you need to be more clear on what you are trying to do.

I work for a human rights organization that is currently trying to source the materials for about 54,000 products. Right now, I am working on a category of manufacturing and industrial equipment and products. The long-term function of my work is to source each material to its country of origin. Thus I am looking to describe the composition of each product in terms of materials that were mined separately (chemical composition would be too specific, general terms like "metal" would be too broad). This is to say that if a product were made of a mixture of boron and iron, I would list boron and iron separately since they were most likely mined separately.

For all of the products I am researching, I am describing a "generic" version of that product, rather than a specific brand of that product. This proves difficult since often there usually is no such thing as a generic version of each product. Thus, I usually describe what a product is usually made of. I can also use a small list of select "sub-products" that are present in the composition of many different products. For example, instead of tracking down the materials for every electrical motor, I can just list "Motor" as one of the materials.

I usually get the feeling that the people who created the list of 54,000 products we are using didn't really know what they were doing. That would explain why my sheet lists products called "machinings," which, as someone else pointed out, are not actual items.

I've been researching most of this stuff on Google. When it comes up empty, I have to get creative, so I thought I'd ask a bunch of machinists.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I work for a human rights organization
    So they call themselves. No further wonder at how mis-applied the tasking is.

Somebody has to police up the fools of this Earth and provide them a paycheck. Just wish they'd find a way to do less damage to those they allege to be trying to help than they have done so far.

13. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seriously?

[QUOTE=solarium;2322242]
    I usually get the feeling that the people who created the list of 54,000 products we are using didn't really know what they were doing. That would explain why my sheet lists products called "machinings," which, as someone else pointed out, are not actual items.

You aren't the only one who thinks that they didn't know what they were doing.
    Just so I understand this, some genius decided to track down the source materials for the *machines themselves* used in various processes? Not the source for the raw materials for the products *of* the machines?

The short answer if you're looking for the sources of the machines is "you're screwed'. Not only do you have to figure out where the iron ore came from, but *when*. The iron in my 1942 Ames lathe probably came out of UP Michigan, but I guarantee that the iron in the 2007 Daewoo VMC at the shop didn't, and they're both producing parts *now*. Same thing with the copper in the motor windings. Then: Michigan. Now? God-knows-where-istan.

To be honest, rather than trying to beat your head out against a spectacularly stupid assignment, I'd go talk to whatever genius thought this up, and ask them what they were really trying to achieve, and then sit down and figure out how to *do* that. Then start with whatever that new process is. You might also suggest that just perhaps, 54 *thousand* items is a bit ambitious for the first pass. There's no way you're going to be able to do more than a basic gloss of "iron, carbon, copper, tin, zinc, aluminum, nickel, silicone, silicon, silicate, and various other trace elements" on even a tenth of that many items. And even if you do figure out what's in everything, that doesn't tell you much about where it came from, or the working conditions there. Just for an example, there are iron mines all over the world. Same thing with copper and most of the rest. Some are wonderfully run places that treat their people well...most, not so much. But it's a case-by-case basis on where the materials in any one individual machine came from. So what good does identifying an imprecise (at best) origin do anybody?

FWIW,
    Brian

15. Likes Jaxian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Alberic;2322273]

You aren't the only one who thinks that they didn't know what they were doing.
    Just so I understand this, some genius decided to track down the source materials for the *machines themselves* used in various processes? Not the source for the raw materials for the products *of* the machines?
    The terms, size of list, and nature? It smells as it someone took an OECD member State's ex-im customs classifications sheets for a start-point. Hairy enough for tax and duty classification. Totally useless in this context from the outset.

Then: Michigan. Now? God-knows-where-istan.
    Or 'recycle-istan'.

KISS.

Same as the 'follow the money' approach.

ID the "probable" offending nations. Track their shipping to first customer of the offending commodity. Lather, rinse, extend.

And the 'more harm than good' side?

Before going all Sandalista-meddlesome over, for example 'child labour'?

Be aware that human or other, juveniles have to contribute to their own, and their family, tribe, 'pod' or 'troop' survival also. TANSTAAFL.

Organization hasn't done ANY of the players a favour to take a nine-year-old off a sewing machine if it means his Grandmum now starves and his nursing baby sister's breast-milk supply goes dry.

Yah gots to provide viable options for the actual, not dreamed-of, environment THEY have, not the one you have or WISH they had FIRST.

Moralizing over the 'liberated' count after they've starved or been enslaved by WORSE vultures, just will not do.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder how much of us hard working people are paying for this one ...I smell government money and bullshit...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're in WAY over your head. And,I don't understand the question,OR why it needed to be asked,either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is that precision billet machining what you mean?

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Take a look at the recent Dodd-Frank requirements.
    I need to be able to PROVE where certain metals come from if they are somehow associated with anything I ship to certain customers.
    They supposedly are trying to control/limit/track metals from certain "unacceptable" mining sources.

Think about this for a few minutes....

What this really (might be)/[pick one]/(is) is a way to shut down any mines not controlled by somebody who had very powerful lobbyists...
    Who sold the whole scam as a "Humanitarian imperative"

What we have here is laying the groundwork for another layer of control. Under the guise of "Humanitarian" reasons.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Motomoron View Post
    Manufacturing machinery is comprised largely of iron and steel.

Just say "Ferrous materials".

You owe me a beer.
    But ceramic does not have iron... A cold Bud would be nice.

precision machining... means close or low tolerance but that can relative to the size of the part.

Probably take years or a lifetime or two to cover that subject well… so good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wild guess is that some Government Agency has contracted out a survey of strategic materials and resources..

The discussion might go something like this...

What resources are required to make weapons?.. well ok, first you need precision machining capability... Good, good what's that and what materials does it need? Dunno? Get that consulting firm in here and get that survey started...

and here we are. Start stockpiling weapons grade unobtanium..

Ray

Of course, the answer will be something like... we need German Steel, Japanese Electronics, Swiss Metrology, and we need Richard King..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    My wild guess is that some Government Agency has contracted out a survey of strategic materials and resources..

The discussion might go something like this...

What resources are required to make weapons?.. well ok, first you need precision machining capability... Good, good what's that and what materials does it need? Dunno? Get that consulting firm in here and get that survey started...

and here we are. Start stockpiling weapons grade unobtanium..

Ray

Of course, the answer will be something like... we need German Steel, Japanese Electronics, Swiss Metrology, and we need Richard King..
    or This is research so in-depth that we might create 1000 new jobs. Good new the economy is tuning better with 1000 new jobs. Whoo wooda thunk it.