What's new
What's new

Question about 'professionalism'

Mike1974

Diamond
OK, kind of a vent, but also a serious question. For the employees, would you consider it un-professional to find a note with a laundry list of "problems" and at the end it says Not Good underlined? I personally find it kind of shitty and going to talk with my boss about it.

As to me, I rarely make any significant mistakes, I have improved cycle times on every job here I re-programmed, just got a raise for going above and beyond, etc...

Frankly, it pisses me off. It's one thing to leave a note like "something doesn't seem right", or "having problems with these parts, check into it", etc.

Also, checked the parts and od is oversize by almost .003" and thickness under by .020" Like WTF!? How is that my fault if the guy doesn't check the parts and comp tools?

I'm not looking to be coddled, when I fuck up I have no problem admitting it, but for some reason this is just waaayyy under my skin... maybe it's too early. :angry:

Written stuff is easy to misinterpret. Just look at this forum.

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt in most cases. Maybe he meant "this situation" is not good.
Not necessarily "your program" is not good.

Written stuff is easy to misinterpret. Just look at this forum.
^^^^ This!

Mike1974 don't assume it's necessarily directed at you until it's proven that it is. I've fallen into that mindset with similar situations and got myself all worked up over it to only find out that how I took the note was no where how it was intended.

Ya, I had second thoughts and decided to give him the benefit of the doubt until we talk. It's entirely possible I read it wrong, but at the same time seems like it would have been better to just list problems with parts... and let me investigate. Already found a couple issues that are an easy fix.

One thing I found that I can't explain, old program in MCX shows 33 minutes and actual is 40, which I expected it to be longer, but my program showed 25 minutes and ran for 40 as well?

It really depends on the intent of note-leaver. Only you know the person well enough to decide what their intent was when they wrote it, no way for us to know that. However it seems that you have already determined that their intent was malicious and derogatory.

If someone has fucked up and you think it was a failure on their behalf that they need to be admonished for, that's a face to face conversation 100% of the time, not a passive aggressive note left on their desk.

If someone leaves a note on your desk that comes across as shitty and unreasonable, but you know that person to be honest and forthright, then you'd tend to give them a pass on their poor writing skills.

However, If someone leaves a note on your desk that comes across as shitty and unreasonable, and you know that person to be an underhanded piece of shit, then take action accordingly.

There is always self employment.....:D

Only problem with that is I now work for the biggest dick in the land :willy_nilly:

That part wasn't hard to get used to.

Had plenty of practice working for "Big Corp" - which at least PAID better.

The HARD part is the arrogant f**k shagging yer lady, using yer toothbrush, and grinning atcha outta the bathroom mirror 'coz yah can't do SQRT-FA to correct his truant ass.

Mike? If yer solid in yer position- or have HAD reason to believe you are - just go and have a low-key word with whomever wrote the note about the ISSUE.

Not about the "apparent" tone - even if "real" OF the note itself.

IF you have a "problem", better to discover and record it than exacerbate it.

Quietly make yer own plans at periscope depth.

NOBODY "wins" a fight with a customer, and your next-higher IS ALWAYS a "customer".

"Had plenty of practice working for "Big Corp" - which at least PAID better."

You never worked anywhere, you fake piece of shit.....
Where are those photos troll? Lets see your famous pile of shit that oil leaking HBX 360!

"Had plenty of practice working for "Big Corp" - which at least PAID better."

You never worked anywhere, you fake piece of shit.....
Hard to conceive of a more foolish thing to say, or what it says about YOU!

Probably "in your better interest", to quit posting what you say to yourself whilst looking in the mirror?

Not that anyone begrudges you all the bouts of self-harm you can muster-up the energy to insult yerself with.

But it's BEYOND boringly repetitious that you have done ALL the "work" since the dawn of time and no one else knows jack squat about anything at all.

It's never productive to approach a situation in business from an emotional standpoint, problems never get solved this way. Evidence being personal relationships. They are emotional, and look at divorce rates.

If marriage was viewed as strictly a business deal, one might not ever enter into one.

I have found that in business, anything that gets me pissed off, needs to be dealt with some time later. As in, I don't make decisions when I am mad. I take a 24 hour or so period to cool down, and think it through.

To get so upset over a simple note is emotional imo. Employees rarely understand that when parts are scrapped, they still get paid. The employer loses 2x on those. Put yourself in his shoes, and calmly talk to him about how this can be resolved.

As far as a note saying "not good" in bold? Big deal. If you got a dick in your pants, act like it.

The troll has a message! I did work somewhere, its secrete, like my pile of shit machines, all secrete!
Where are those photos troll! We want photos and no Pee Pee talk Rooster Fish Bill thermite!

"As far as a note saying "not good" in bold? Big deal. If you got a dick in your pants, act like it."

Aah ahh ahh, you are coming apart troll, cant post without me retorting, have a refreshing glass of piss from Goldstien!

Your post doesn't give enough information to form any sort of opinion over.

But, in general, I find the best way to avoid criticism when I'm working with others is to not make mistakes. It gives no one anything to chew on.

The troll has a message! I did work somewhere, its secrete, like my pile of shit machines, all secrete!
Where are those photos troll! We want photos and no Pee Pee talk Rooster Fish Bill thermite!

And that's another thing. Your inability - or perhaps just unwillingness - to read?

PM's annals have the names of nearly ALL of the many firms I have worked with in citing lesson's learned. Most even have date span, roles, and even job titles. Names of folks I was privileged to learn from. Many wrote my performance reviews. Some were public figures. Very public. A few still are. "Age" thing.

THEIR opinions MATTERED! PAYCHECKS and stoc options came with those opinions. Good ones, too!

And all recorded "Right here. On PM". Same place as has recorded YOUR sad history of f**king yerslef up!

You seem to have made a fetish out of deliberate blindness? Makes the insane lies you tell less effort, does that? You wouldn't know SQRT-FA about REAL work, wuddja?

All part and parcel of the "wound collector" personality. So why are we not surprised?

Learning ability is ANOTHER thing you seem to consider beneath the effort horizon of the self-declared Master of the F*****g Universe entitlement, yah?

Problem is others DO read. So it has been all the more obvious that YOUR grubby, needy, parasitism, your belief in your "dominance" does NOT entitle you to the least booger-flick out of the time nor resource of even a transient fruit fly.. let alone ANY other human being, anywhere on-planet or off.

Zero claim on any part of the resources of any part of the universe, wussy widdle unbeloved man-pussy.

ZERO for a zero!

Sad case, pathetic little drama-queen.

And growing cheaper, sadder, less significant, and most of all uglier by the week.

Why interfere when you are doing such a FINE job at self negation? Spiraling your ever-dimishing remains towards eventual internet-oblivion?

On the evidence of a dozen years and counting, f**king yerself up most publically could well be the only REAL job you were ever the least bit GOOD at?

No rush. Carry on as long as you are able!

A public spectacle of the classic f**kedtwit every second of the journey.

:(

"As far as a note saying "not good" in bold? Big deal. If you got a dick in your pants, act like it."

Aah ahh ahh, you are coming apart troll, cant post without me retorting, have a refreshing glass of piss from Goldstien!

If I assume Walla Walla is NSW, Aussieland.... Do you have any surviving family? Do they have something similar to the Baker Act there?

Pic to clarify Baker Act: baker.jpg

It's never productive to approach a situation in business from an emotional standpoint, problems never get solved this way. Evidence being personal relationships. They are emotional, and look at divorce rates.

If marriage was viewed as strictly a business deal, one might not ever enter into one.

I have found that in business, anything that gets me pissed off, needs to be dealt with some time later. As in, I don't make decisions when I am mad. I take a 24 hour or so period to cool down, and think it through.

To get so upset over a simple note is emotional imo. Employees rarely understand that when parts are scrapped, they still get paid. The employer loses 2x on those. Put yourself in his shoes, and calmly talk to him about how this can be resolved.

As far as a note saying "not good" in bold? Big deal. If you got a dick in your pants, act like it.

Thing is, we found several things wrong this morning after going step by step to see what happened. Finish tool chipped the corners out on the pocket leaving a step that was preventing it from seating properly. That explains the inconsistency on size and top to bottom alignment. So far as I can tell, it had nothing to do with the programming (my part) and all in the setup and prove-out, which I am not involved in too much, I do programming and setup sheets for tools, where the work offset is, stock size, parallels, etc.

It sounds rather sophomoric to me. If someone has a "laundry list" it means that rather than addressing issues as they arise, they let them "pile up" to use it as a hammer. Sending a note rather than a discrete conference just magnifies it. Don't lose your cool, but address it, verbally, eye to eye. I never did this to guys that were under me and I don't tolerate it from those over me either.

Last edited:
It sounds rather sophomoric to me. If someone has a "laundry list" it means that rather than addressing issues as they arise, they let them "pile up" to use it as a hammer. Sending a note rather than a discrete conference just magnifies it. Don't lose you cool, but address it, verbally, eye to eye. I never did this to guys that were under me and I don't tolerate it from those over me either.

Aright.. let's slant it a different way. As an opportunity. Even if it has to be created:

Suppose.. that the person who wrote it ASSUMED a higher degree of partnership than first appears. Or simply NEEDED it to become so.

I've been where such a laundry list might have started with:

"We need to look into this. Here's what I have, so far for openers."

"Apply your eye to it, see what else we need to add, and let's discuss what we can come up with to start knocking down the REAL problems, easy ones FIRST!"

I kid you not. It is a team effort, whether recognized as such or never.

S**t has to get sorted. No one else is in the room. Whom is it as will get to deal with s**t?

Same as Colour Sergeant Ward, battle of Mission Station, Roark's Drift, Natal, South Africa, when a British infantryman looked at barely over a hundred men facing thousands of Zulu warriors and said:

"Why us?"

Standard answer Number One came back.

"Steady lad. Because we are here."

That simple, most days. Because we are here. And no one else is.

Back