What's new
What's new

A question about threads

G code

Plastic
At one time an engineer at my company put on a print to tap from the back or it would be left hand threads. Is this true?:cryin:

At one time an engineer at my company put on a print to tap from the back or it would be left hand threads. Is this true?:cryin:

100% true, if you use a left hand tap from the top of a part you get right hand threads. It's based on asme standard iD10t 2016-a

Perhaps even better for that job..don't use a tap at all but do it on a lathe and make a double thread.

That way you can use a right or left hand screw. going in from the front or the back side...

so iD10t 2016-a... x2

Yes.

But with modern thread milling, you can make the proper thread by rapiding
into the hole, and then helical interpolate your way up/out.

NO, obviously it is not true. I see that you are only one post in, so I don't know how sarcastic you are being.

Think of the Tap like a Die, it doesn't lose it's shape, no matter how you use it. So IF you use a right hand tap, you get a right hand Thread.

R

PS. See 9100, not always.
PSS. Donald Trump is a nice person

Actually..NO it will be a right hand thread if tapped with a right hand tap..screwing in from the top or bottom you would use a right hand screw....:codger:

But if you tap it and then surface grind the other side it is anybodies guess,

The proof of this is summed up as: What is the difference between an orange and a bicycle? and which one came first?

Had a guy bring in an auger with bad flighting and some new to put on. I told him it was the wrong hand so he told me to turn it around...........

Ed.

Maybe there was some confusion about tapping from both sides...? If you tried to tap from both sides, you couldn't get the threads to line up, but that is my best guess about this topic. :typing:

Back