What's new
What's new

Question About Valenite DPG-532 Carbide Inserts!

atomarc

Diamond
I acquired a bunch of Valenite DPG-532 (VC-7) inserts. I have searched high and low and can find no lathe tool holder to fit this insert and cannot even find the shape listed any longer.

I'm guessing this style was either proprietary to Valenite or is so old it's time for the garbage can. It's possible I could make a toolholder for them but I might be wasting my time.

Is this style still viable and is there a tool holder for it anywhere?

Stuart

Valenite DDG-532 VC 7 Carbide Inserts (QTY 7) New old stock | eBay

I acquired a bunch of Valenite DPG-532 (VC-7) inserts. I have searched high and low and can find no lathe tool holder to fit this insert and cannot even find the shape listed any longer.

I'm guessing this style was either proprietary to Valenite or is so old it's time for the garbage can. It's possible I could make a toolholder for them but I might be wasting my time.

Is this style still viable and is there a tool holder for it anywhere?

Stuart

Valenite DDG-532 VC 7 Carbide Inserts (QTY 7) New old stock | eBay

Answer highlighted.

I'd say you have some Gen-U-Ine antiques there, which should be sold as such. As for use, no, don't bother - modern carbide grades are vastly better.

[Not kidding about the antique aspect, those are really old, and maybe of some historic value]

OK..I think that answers my question. Because I'm senile, retired and sequestered in my digs, I think I'll make/modify a tool holder to fit these things and if they don't perform at all, into the garbage they go. My machining needs are very low-tech.:)

Stuart

Yes old special holder.
Before you make a holder also note that these are VC7 which is also a very special grade.
You may have noticed that they a re lighter in weight than normal carbide inserts.
Very hard but very brittle so prone to chipping and breaking. Fine finishing cuts at higher speeds on hard steel or powdered metal.
Once the go to on stellite valve seats.
Bob

Yes old special holder.
Before you make a holder also note that these are VC7 which is also a very special grade.
Very hard but very brittle so prone to chipping and breaking. ...........................
Bob

No wonder I could never get them to hold up on cutting 4145HT back 40 something years ago.:( And they were almost obsolete back then.

Bob,

I looked up VC7 and it crosses to C7 which appears to be a standard grade for general turning. Is this not true?

Stuart

I'd say you have some Gen-U-Ine antiques there, which should be sold as such. As for use, no, don't bother - modern carbide grades are vastly better.

[Not kidding about the antique aspect, those are really old, and maybe of some historic value]

Hmmm - I have 20+ kg of Valenite inserts of all sorts shapes & suzes, mostly in original packaging. Been hanging onto them just because - they were free.

Might be time for a clean-out.

PDW

Hmmm - I have 20+ kg of Valenite inserts of all sorts shapes & suzes, mostly in original packaging. Been hanging onto them just because - they were free.

Might be time for a clean-out.

PDW

Heh - take my enthusiasm with a large grain of salt. I really like the Olde Tyme packaging, and there's likely a collector out there who would too. But finding that guy will be harder than the most such sales.

Bob,

I looked up VC7 and it crosses to C7 which appears to be a standard grade for general turning. Is this not true?

Stuart

Yes VC7 is classic C7 with only 6-7% cobalt and 10% Titanium carbide and a touch of Tantalum.
Very hard and super resistant to flank wear. Low TRS or breaking strength, like a cermet but not as strong.
As in a C3 it is what is known as a cobalt depleted grade, not the optimal amount of "glue" in the mix but makes it work better in it's designed use.

Not sure on what planet C7 is recommend as a standard turning grade.
Don't have CBN tips or other to turn down a hard ball screw end or other type super hard shaft? This is your guy.
It will cut stuff that a C2 simply gives up in. This grade likes hard, hard stuff. It does not like soft metal and slow speeds.
Bob

Heh - take my enthusiasm with a large grain of salt. I really like the Olde Tyme packaging, and there's likely a collector out there who would too. But finding that guy will be harder than the most such sales.
Who cares about the old pack? Old enough to have used the same packs.
One wonders if in many cases the old VC2, VC5, 883, 370 carbides are actually not as good as the "new" grades in uncoated?
Lets add some colors, better yet two colors.
Marketing works wonders.
Bob

Yeah - I've thought of taking some pix and listing them on eBay but frankly it's all a bit too much like hard work really. Pity to toss them but eventually what else do you do?

PDW

My brother-in-law gave me a couple packs of inserts like that. If they are as big as the inserts I have they make pretty good scrapers and deburring tools. Also skip making a holder and clamp the things straight in your Aloris tool holder.

Just for grins..an update on this thread. I am so cheap I squeak so I wasn't going to give up finding a tool holder for my 'free' Valenite inserts. Lo and behold, Ebay came through to the tune of $24.75 and free shipping. It was a genuine Valenite (brand new) tool holder made specifically for these old inserts. I'm glad I didn't attempt to make one as they are quite complicated.

I turned some very hard rotary drill material, it cut like butter and the finish was beautiful. 12L14, for some reason nicked the tip of the insert a tiny bit..Carbide Bob thought this may be the case. I'll use them anyway as my needs are quite simple.

Valenite 1-1/4" x 1.0" Shank Lathe Insert Tool VTTCR-3-4.ALT | eBay

Stuart

Back