What's new
What's new

Question for Dake 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 Owners

calderp

Aluminum
I just bought a Dake 1-1/2 B for a great price due to a missing handle and ratcheting pawl. Parts are available from Dake but at $350 I'll be paying more for the pawl and handle than I paid for the press which is a little hard to swallow and it would be an interesting exercise to fabricate a replacement. Is anyone with a Dake 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 willing to take two quick measurements for me? I can figure them out myself but it would save me a fair bit of fiddling is someone could give me a thickness measurement for the handle casting (Dake calls it a leverweight) at the point where it slides onto the shaft and a center to center measurement for the distance between the hole for the shaft and the hole for the pin that holds the pawl. A good photo of the pawl would also be appreciated.

I bought an old Dake 1 3/4 at a yard sale years ago. It's pretty early.
The pinion gear is stripped.
Let me know if you think it will work for your meausurements.
I don't think I have the pawl.

Attachments

• IMG_4953.jpg
    IMG_4953.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4954.jpg
    IMG_4954.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4955.jpg
    IMG_4955.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4956.jpg
    IMG_4956.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 76
I think that the pawl is similar to the one in a Dake 3. I've attached a pic stolen from another PM thread of the Model 3 Pawl. You should be able to scale this to your machine I think. Picture 2 from maynah shows the pin extending from the frame. I think that pin forces the bottom end of the pawl into the ratchet gear, so that if you put the lever in the "up" position, it keeps the ram from sliding down due to gravity.

Clearly, though, the dimensions from the proper press would be best. My Dake is only a 1 ton ("OO" I think). No ratchet.

pawl.JPG

Let me know if you think it will work for your measurements.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping for. Great (for me) that it's off the machine. If you could give me these two measurements and one angle in this photo it will save me quite a bit of time. Also if you wouldn't mind giving me the thickness of the handle where the pin goes thru and thickness at the back end (counterweight). Then I could make a pretty good weight estimate to shoot for to get the same balance. Oh and lastly the diameter of the handle would be great.
Thanks a lot.
I'm sure you're probably aware already that Dake still has all the parts for these if you don't want to make them but if that spindle increased in price the same as the handle (my parts list says $20.00, current price is $200) you're looking at $400.

handle.jpg

I think that the pawl is similar to the one in a Dake 3. I've attached a pic stolen from another PM thread of the Model 3 Pawl. You should be able to scale this to your machine I think. Picture 2 from maynah shows the pin extending from the frame. I think that pin forces the bottom end of the pawl into the ratchet gear, so that if you put the lever in the "up" position, it keeps the ram from sliding down due to gravity.

Clearly, though, the dimensions from the proper press would be best. My Dake is only a 1 ton ("OO" I think). No ratchet.

View attachment 289201

Thanks this is great!

I bought a mint low miles Mercedes Benz once. Got it for $50! What a deal.

Then I noticed it needed a new rear view mirror. I was HORRIFIED when the Mercedes dealer told me it was ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS! Why, that's more than twice what I paid for the whole car!

Ask for dimensions if you want. But don't brag about a killer deal and then bitch because parts are still sold at retail.

I bought a mint low miles Mercedes Benz once. Got it for $50! What a deal.

Then I noticed it needed a new rear view mirror. I was HORRIFIED when the Mercedes dealer told me it was ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS! Why, that's more than twice what I paid for the whole car!

Ask for dimensions if you want. But don't brag about a killer deal and then bitch because parts are still sold at retail.

Who's bitching? Nothing wrong with Dake's pricing it reflects the quality of the product. If that was an essential tool for a current job I wouldn't hesitate but right now I've got more time and less income than usual and like I said it's an interesting exercise to fabricate.

The angle is about 117 degrees. Thickness of the weight is 1.020". Thickness where pin goes through is 1.725". Handle OD is .755".
The pin OD is .625. Your picture is very small and tough to see, but from the center of the pin to the center of the pinion hole is about 2.600".
What is the other measurement in your edit of the picture I posted?

The angle is about 117 degrees. Thickness of the weight is 1.020". Thickness where pin goes through is 1.725". Handle OD is .755".
The pin OD is .625. Your picture is very small and tough to see, but from the center of the pin to the center of the pinion hole is about 2.600".
What is the other measurement in your edit of the picture I posted?

Thank you very much. Sorry about the photo, I didn't realize it got resized like that. The other measurement I was looking for is the OD of the pin coming out of the handle (the one the pawl rides on). Is that .625? Checking because .625 is also the OD of the pin which is pressed into the body of the press.

Let me know if you think it will work for your meausurements.

Just wanted to close this out with some photos and a big thank you to maynah (just caught your username - I live in New Orleans but I grew up in Damariscotta in the Midcoast area, usually make it back once a year and I always try to get some tool shopping in while I'm up there!) and bosleyjr. I printed that sketch of the pawl and cut it out then I used maynah's measurements to scale the photo he sent of the handle and printed that too. It's not quite exactly an overhead shot but it was close enough that it worked great. Cut that out of 3/4" plate and added a piece of 3/8" plate where the casting is thicker. I was going to do the same on the other side, finish out the pin and add a cotter pin, clean everything up, etc etc but it works great as is and I've got a bunch of other machines in pieces so we'll see...
IMG_2485.jpg
IMG_2503.jpg
IMG_2504.jpg

Back