What's new
What's new

A question to grinding shops what causes this hub damage

My guess is it's rubbed on something - like a fixture / angle plate etc etc. ...which can happen when surface grinding in ''close quarters''

I have three hubs with this same damage. It does not looked rubbed but whacked.

Looks like someone ran a boring bar in there. I would never put a less than perfect adapter bore on a grinder. You'll jack up the arbor.
They are only $64 new from mcmaster of all places.

I think I found the video of the guy who sold you those adapters.

Knocking with punch and hammer to break it loose.

Good luck,
Matt

Could be true. A shop having using "highly skilled help" and paying min. wage. Workers did not know how to use a wheel (hub) puller or did not have one so they kept beating the hub while turning it to remove it.

Do you have a small RC boat?
These will make good anchors.
The taper has been "fixed", the back has hit a part or fixture and some tap off, and the nut given the hammer and punch method.
Bob

DSC01842.jpg
From left, a Sopko hub puller, Sopko hub wrench, the puller I made, an old Parker Majestic hub wrench.

DSC01841.jpg
Another view.

Pullers are pretty easy to make, and probably not very expensive to buy. I made mine when I got my surface grinder in 1979 and the Sopko was found later. Both work fine. Not a good idea to try to do without a proper puller.

Larry

Look at the video real close. It looks like some dreck sow didn't put INTERNAL THREADS IN THIS ADAPTER.Most of the pullers need these internal threads in order to work.Then some other swine used a chisle to knock it off. I have seen adapters like this. Edwin Dirnbeck

Note, I am throwing this away, I just wanted to know how the hell it got beaten this way. I got three of them in this condition. I did get a refund as they were not the ones pictured in the auction.

Knocking with punch and hammer to break it loose.

Good luck,
Matt

I agree. A friend works in a shop that has a Kent grinder identical to mine. He says the nut holding the hub on the shaft is chewed up, rounded corners, from beating on a wrench. Mine is almost in new condition it came in because I only use hand pressure on the nut and on the stone's nut. To loosen it I put a wrench on the wrenching flats behind the wheel and use a puller. In forty years I have had the grinder, I have never had a wheel or hub slip. There is also no excuse for the burred spanner holes in the hub. Anyone who treated equipment like that wouldn't last ten minutes in my shop.

Bill

Back